Fat Joe Facing Up to Two Years in Jail After Pleading Guilty to Tax Evasion
Fat Joe entered a guilty plea in a New Jersey federal court Thursday, December 20 to misdemeanor charges stemming from his failure to pay taxes on nearly $3 million of income in the years of 2007 and 2008. Due to the offense, the 42-year-old rapper could face a maximum of two years in prison.
Looking noticeably slimmer in court, Joe whose real name is Joseph Cartagena was initially accused of evading income taxes between the years of 2007 and 2010. The Hip-Hop star allegedly owed the federal government more than $700,000 in tax debts during those four years.
When U.S. Magistrate Cathy Waldor asked him if he understood the charges brought against him, the "What's Luv?" hitmaker said, "I super-understands it." He has been released from police custody after posting $250,000 bail, and is scheduled to appear before judge in April 2013 for sentencing.
Joe's lawyer Jeffrey Lichtman told E! News the rapper had been "working to resolve his issues" even before he knew he was being investigated by IRS. "We have been trying to correct this for almost a year now," the attorney said. "We got his tax returns in order and they have been accepted by the government."
"It's not a happy day," Litchman continued. "I think he is relieved to get the ball rolling and put it behind him. It is not a proud day, but I think he is proud that he has his house in order and is getting it done. He is obviously very stressed about what the future brings, but he is handling it well."
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Exchange Sweet Gaze While Leaving Church Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Kourtney Kardashian Slammed by Haters for Sharing 'Materialistic' Photos of Her Kids
- Surprise! Justin Bieber and Zayn Malik Are Planning a Collaboration
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' May Flash Back to World War II
- Blac Chyna Stuns in New Topless Picture. See Her Enviable Post-Baby Body
- Watch Lady GaGa and Stevie Wonder's Performances at Elton John's 70th Star-Studded Birthday Party
- Brad Pitt Is Ready to Mend His Relationship With Angelina Jolie for the Sake of Their Kids
- Cyborg's Story Is the Heart of 'Justice League', Says Zack Snyder