Miss USA Olivia Culpo Wins 2012 Miss Universe in Las Vegas
Miss USA Olivia Culpo was crowned 2012 Miss Universe during a televised beauty pageant at the Planet Hollywood casino in Las Vegas. It marked the first time an American wins the title since Brook Lee was declared the winner in 1997. It also became the U.S.'s eighth win since the competition started 60 years ago.
Olivia made it to the top 5 along with Miss Venezuela Irene Sofia Esser Quintero, Miss Philippines Janine Tugonon, Miss Australia Renae Ayris and Miss Brazil Gabriele Markus. The 20-year-old beauty from Rhode Island answered her final question from one of the judges, Miss Universe 2010 Ximena Navarette.
Olivia was asked if she'd done anything she'd never do again. She said, "I'd like to start off by saying that every experience no matter what it is, good or bad, you'll learn from it. That's just life. But something I've done I've regretted is probably picking on my siblings growing up, because you appreciate them so much more as you grow older."
Miss Philippines who answered her final question from photographer judge Nigel Barker was named the first runner-up; Miss Venezuela who got a question from actor Diego Boneta was the second runner-up, Miss Australia who was quizzed by TV star Lisa Vanderpump was the third runner-up, and Miss Brazil received a question from Olympian Kerry Walsh was the fourth runner-up.
Wearing a red gown, Olivia accepted her crown from 2011 Miss Universe, Miss Angola Leila Lopes. "I'm dreaming. It's a dream," she said when being surrounded by other contestants on stage. She was picked as the winner by a panel of judges that also comprised of reality star Scott Disick, singer Cee-Lo Green, baseball player Pablo Sandoval, and celebrity chef Masaharu Morimoto.
Other winners included Miss Guatemala Laura Godoy as Miss Congeniality voted by the other contestants. The top 10 winners of the national costume contest winners in respective order were Miss China, Miss Mexico, Miss Netherlands, Miss Sri Lanka, Miss Brazil, Miss Nicaragua, Miss British Virgin Islands, Miss Panama, Miss Peru and Miss Indonesia.
Andy Cohen and Giuliana Rancic served as hosts, Train was one of the musical guests. Contestants from 89 countries on six continents spent the past two weeks in the Sin City before 16 of them were advanced to top 16 in the preliminary round and 10 were picked in the next stage. Finally after the evening gown competition, the top 5 were announced.
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'