Jimmy Kimmel Faces Off Jay Leno in New Timeslot, Reacts to the Rivalry
"Jimmy Kimmel Live!" has been moved to earlier timeslot and its late-night show rival "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" follows suit. The ABC show will air at 11:35 P.M. (25 minutes earlier) starting January 8, 2013, while the NBC show is going to occupy the 11:34 P.M. slot (one minute earlier than its current schedule).
In a recent press conference, Jimmy Kimmel said he was not worried about the move made his rival show. "It tells me that they are a bit concerned," he said. "I'll be curious to see how long that goes on. That's a trick designed to bring up their ratings in the first month. What really matters is how you do in May and that's when we'll know where we stand."
Kimmel's mockery toward Jay Leno didn't stop there, "Just when you think he's dead, he comes back," he dissed the older late night show host. "The fact is that NBC is going to make a decision someday. As much as he would like it, Jay Leno can't stay on television forever and Jimmy Fallon is the heir apparent."
Despite the change of schedule, Kimmel said his show would largely remain the same. "It will pretty much be the same show we've always been doing," he explained. "There's this idea that you need to broaden the show or make it more wholesome, and I think that is outdated."
"The jokes will remain exactly the same," he added. "We're moving 25 minutes earlier. From a Standards and Practices standpoint it's not a huge difference."
More Jimmy Kimmel Live! News
- Too Little, Too Late? Taylor Swift's Support for Women's March Is Met With Backlash
- Get First Look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Thomas Edison in 'Current War'
- Kylie Jenner Shows a Lot of Skin in Barely There Two-Piece
- Is Selena Gomez Begging for Justin Bieber's 'Blessing' to Date The Weeknd After JB Calls Him 'Wack'?
- 'Logan' Is Not Set in the Same 'X-Men' Universe, According to Hugh Jackman
- Gavin Rossdale Doesn't Want to Divorce Gwen Stefani, Says She's Still 'Incredible'
- John Legend Breaks Silence on Being Called 'Monkey' by Paparazzo
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video