Jimmy Kimmel Faces Off Jay Leno in New Timeslot, Reacts to the Rivalry
"Jimmy Kimmel Live!" has been moved to earlier timeslot and its late-night show rival "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" follows suit. The ABC show will air at 11:35 P.M. (25 minutes earlier) starting January 8, 2013, while the NBC show is going to occupy the 11:34 P.M. slot (one minute earlier than its current schedule).
In a recent press conference, Jimmy Kimmel said he was not worried about the move made his rival show. "It tells me that they are a bit concerned," he said. "I'll be curious to see how long that goes on. That's a trick designed to bring up their ratings in the first month. What really matters is how you do in May and that's when we'll know where we stand."
Kimmel's mockery toward Jay Leno didn't stop there, "Just when you think he's dead, he comes back," he dissed the older late night show host. "The fact is that NBC is going to make a decision someday. As much as he would like it, Jay Leno can't stay on television forever and Jimmy Fallon is the heir apparent."
Despite the change of schedule, Kimmel said his show would largely remain the same. "It will pretty much be the same show we've always been doing," he explained. "There's this idea that you need to broaden the show or make it more wholesome, and I think that is outdated."
"The jokes will remain exactly the same," he added. "We're moving 25 minutes earlier. From a Standards and Practices standpoint it's not a huge difference."
More Jimmy Kimmel Live! News
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby