Ricky Gervais Confirms Role in 'The Muppets Sequel'
Just a day after it was reported that Ricky Gervais is a viable candidate to replace Jason Segel in "The Muppets Sequel", the British comedian stepped forward with a confirmation. "I have just signed up to play the lead in the next Muppet Movie," he tweeted on Wednesday, December 19.
Gervais also joked, "I have the biggest trailer but Kermit will spend some time in my sink." It is still unknown what role he will play in the movie but it was said to be on a par with the one played by Segel. "Modern Family" star Ty Burrell has also signed up for the follow up of the 2011 movie as a bumbling Interpol inspector. Christoph Waltz was previously touted to play this character.
Two other human characters are yet to find their actors. They are a "Russian femme fatale" and "a male lead whose intentions are always in question."
Gervais actually made a cameo in "The Muppets" but the scene was cut. This will be his first lead role in a movie since 2009's "The Invention of Lying".
Filming of "The Muppets Sequel" in London and at Pinewood Studios is due to start in late January and end in April next year. James Bobin and Nicholas Stoller return as director and screenwriter respectively.
- Report: John Mayer Dating Natalie Morales
- Report: Jennifer Garner's 'Pregnant and Alone' After Ben Affleck Divorce Filing
- '13 Reasons Why' Is Near Season 2 Renewal on Netflix
- Chris Soules Called 911 After Deadly Car Crash, Tried to Help Victim
- 'Alien: Covenant' New Prologue Reveals 'Prometheus' Big Mystery
- Johnny Depp Surprises Pirates of the Caribbean Riders at Disneyland as Captain Jack Sparrow
- Drake and Draymond Green Mock Each Other in Hilarious Meme War
- Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff to Reunite for First Live Performances in 12 Years