Josh Whedon Admits the Wasp Was Initially Featured in 'The Avengers'
On Tuesday, December 18, Joss Whedon presented his blockbuster giant film "The Avengers" during a special screening event hosted by the Directors Guild of America in Hollywood. Whedon was also on hand to answer in-depth questions about the massively successful superhero flick, teasing which characters that didn't make the final cut but could end up appearing in "The Avengers 2".
Whedon spilled the beans that Janet Van Dyne a.k.a the Wasp was initially featured in the script, while admitting that he hesitated to include Black Widow instead. "There was a little bit of time where we thought we might not actually get Scarlett [Johansson]," the New Yorker said. "There was a very Waspy draft that I wrote. But it was way too Waspy. I was like, 'She's adorable! I'm just going to watch her!' "
The "Much Ado About Nothing" helmer also dished that he originally had a plan to add another villain beside Loki, but he wouldn't reveal who was the bad guy because the character might end up appearing in the sequel. "I'm not going to tell you [who it is]," he insisted, "because that person might crop up another time."
"But I definitely felt like, 'I've got Earth's mightiest heroes. I've got four of the biggest, baddest, toughest guys out there and I've got one effete British character actor.' They believed very strongly that they didn't want to add any more mythology, I think was the thing," he continued.
Whedon didn't reveal too much of his plan for the 2015 sequel, but he did tease that there could be some member changes within the Avengers team in order to stay true to the comics. "I used to read 'The Avengers' and part of the ethos of the team was that it changed their lineup every month," he explained.
"Their 150th issue was just a bunch of faces. 'Who will be in the team now?!' We had the first issue as a poster in the offices. Now that I'm working on the sequel I said, 'Let's the second issue up there! Let's change it up a little bit!' The second issue is 'Introducing... Giant-Man!' And this character! They were already changing it up after one issue. That's what they always do."
Whedon will return to direct "Avengers 2", which is slated for a May 1, 2015 release Stateside.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance