Bruno Mars Pays Tribute to Sandy Hook Shooting Victims on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show'
Singer-songwriter Bruno Mars visited the set of Ellen DeGeneres' daily talk-variety show on December 18 for a touching tribute to the victims and families of last week's Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. The Hawaiian recording artist opened the show with his "Doo - Wops & Hooligans" track "Count on Me" complete with ukulele in tow for an unplugged rendition of his 2010 hit single.
Supported by a lone back-up singer, Mars flawlessly sang the fitting tribute after a heartfelt introduction by DeGeneres. Like other talk show hosts in the U.S., the comedienne started her show differently today in reference to the recent shooting incident that killed 26 people including 20 school children, and which is currently gripping the nation.
"I think we can all agree right now we need a lot of love out there," said DeGeneres as she introduced Mars. Many other celebrities have extended their sympathies both online and on television.
Late-night talk show host David Letterman took on a serious tone on his "Late Show with David Letterman" monologue as he reacted to the shocking news. Monday night saw funnyman Jimmy Kimmel making a tearful acknowledgement of the shooting incident on his "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" show. Stand-up comedian Jay Leno and "Saturday Night Live" alum Jimmy Fallon also reacted to the tragedy on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" respectively.
Other popular TV programs have made their special tributes in light of the Sandy Hook shooting. "SNL" opened its holiday show last week with Paul McCartney singing "Silent Night" with the New York City Children's Chorus as a tribute to the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting tragedy that happened Friday, December 14, in Newtown.
More Bruno Mars News
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake