Ricky Gervais Could Replace Jason Segel as the New Lead in 'Muppets' Sequel
After being left by Jason Segel, "The Muppets Sequel" is now close to find its new lead. The Hollywood Reporter breaks the news that comedian Ricky Gervais is currently in talks to take the coveted part, being set to star opposite Ty Burrell.
Details on Gervais' new lead character are still kept secret. It is also still unknown whether he will be required to sing in the upcoming film or not. Gervais was originally set to make a cameo in 2011's "The Muppets", but unfortunately, his scene didn't make it to the final cut. Should he sign on to the sequel, it will mark his first lead role since 2009's "The Invention of Lying".
So far, the sequel project has officially tapped Burrell to play the Interpol inspector, a pivotal role originally offered to Christoph Waltz. Other important human characters include a "Russian femme fatale" and "a male lead whose intentions are always in question."
The project will begin filming in London this winter with James Bobin returning to the director's chair. He also pens the script alongside Nicholas Stoller. David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman, on the other hand, are set to return as producers.
The first "Muppets" movie grossed $158 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing "Muppets" film ever. Segel and Amy Adams tackled the lead human character parts, but the former had decided not to return to the sequel.
- Solange Announces New Album 'A Seat at the Table', Reveals Tracklist
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd