Ricky Gervais Could Replace Jason Segel as the New Lead in 'Muppets' Sequel
After being left by Jason Segel, "The Muppets Sequel" is now close to find its new lead. The Hollywood Reporter breaks the news that comedian Ricky Gervais is currently in talks to take the coveted part, being set to star opposite Ty Burrell.
Details on Gervais' new lead character are still kept secret. It is also still unknown whether he will be required to sing in the upcoming film or not. Gervais was originally set to make a cameo in 2011's "The Muppets", but unfortunately, his scene didn't make it to the final cut. Should he sign on to the sequel, it will mark his first lead role since 2009's "The Invention of Lying".
So far, the sequel project has officially tapped Burrell to play the Interpol inspector, a pivotal role originally offered to Christoph Waltz. Other important human characters include a "Russian femme fatale" and "a male lead whose intentions are always in question."
The project will begin filming in London this winter with James Bobin returning to the director's chair. He also pens the script alongside Nicholas Stoller. David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman, on the other hand, are set to return as producers.
The first "Muppets" movie grossed $158 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing "Muppets" film ever. Segel and Amy Adams tackled the lead human character parts, but the former had decided not to return to the sequel.
- Kim Ji Won Reveals She's Jealous of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo
- Kris Jenner Is Planning to Send Rob Kardashian to Psych Ward
- Miley Cyrus and Jennifer Hudson Are Feuding on 'The Voice'
- Blac Chyna Parties With Lamar Odom and Tyga
- Girls' Generation's Yuri Injures Her Leg During SM Town Show
- Ten Times Chrissy Teigen Trolls Donald Trump on Twitter
- Yolanda Hadid Who? David Foster Enjoys Romantic Italy Getaway With Elizabeth Hurley
- 'The Star' First Teaser Trailer Tells the Story of Christmas From Different Perspective