Phillip Phillips Makes History on Billboard With 'Home'
Singer-songwriter Phillip Phillips, who won the eleventh season of "American Idol", has made history for the popular TV reality singing competition as the first "Idol" alum to send his debut single to the no. 1 spot in Billboard's Adult Pop Song charts. His single "Home", which he first performed on the "Idol" stage, has bested 2009 season winner Kris Allen's debut single "Live Like We're Dying", which reached no. 3 back in 2010.
"Home" also debuted on the Billboard charts' Alternative category at no. 39. It is the debut single off his first album "The World From the Side of the Moon", which is currently at no. 9 in this week's Billboard 200. It was Phillip's coronation song on his winning night on "Idol", and had the biggest digital sales of any "Idol" winner's coronation song.
The 22-year-old Phillips is a native of Leesburg, Georgia who worked at his family's pawn shop before appearing in the popular reality singing contest aired on FOX. He was the only contestant who never came in jeopardy of being eliminated in any week of the competition. In November 2012, he released his debut album "The World From the Side of the Moon", produced by Gregg Wattenberg. Phillips wrote or co-wrote most of the tracks in the studio set, which debuted at no. 4 in the Billboard 200 charts.
Phillips has been nominated in this year's Teen Choice Awards for Choice Breakout Artist and Choice Love Song for "Home". It has been reported that he will be touring North America with Matchbox 20 in 2013.
More Phillip Phillips News
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding