'The Voice' Performance Finale Opens With Tribute to Newtown Shooting Victims
"The Voice" was one step closer to crowning its third season winner, but before it celebrates one singer's glory, the show took a moment to mourn the deaths of 26 victims in Sandy Hook School shooting. The final performance show on Monday, December 17 opened with a solemn performance of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".
All four coaches and twenty contestants along with hosts Carson Daly and Christina Milian took part in the touching tribute. They each held a card with the name and age of one of the people killed in the tragic incident.
Later on, the Top 3 finalists sang three times: one was a solo performance, another was a duet with their coaches, and the other was an encore of their breakout performances from the season.
Nicholas David sang a medley of Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire" and Jimi Hendrix's "Fire" for his solo performance. "Your fire tonight burned this house down," his coach Cee-Lo Green praised him. Nicholas later reprised his performance of "Lean on Me" by Bill Withers before he teamed up with Cee-Lo for a rendition of Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music".
Cassadee Pope re-did her performance of "Over You" by Miranda Lambert. She also had a duet with Blake Shelton in "Steve McQueen" by Sheryl Crow. For her final performance, Cassadee belted out "Cry" by Faith Hill. "For every great moment you've had on this show - and you've had a lot of them. I've never heard you sing as great as you did tonight," so Blake gushed about his protege.
Terry McDermott first sang Aerosmith's "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)" with his coach Blake. Adam Levine jumped into the performance, appearing shirtless and wearing a long wig while playing a guitar. Terry later sang "Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister which is his son's favorite song.
"Every time you get on stage, something epic happens," Blake commented on Terry's solo performance. "The people in the room know it, the people at home know it and you make these classic rock songs sound new again. And nobody can do that, nobody's been able to do that, except for you, Terry." The aspiring rocker also reprised his rendition of "I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner.
More The Voice News
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered