Hacker of Scarlett Johansson's Nude Photos Sentenced to 10 Years in Jail
Christopher Chaney, 36, is going to spend ten years in prison as a consequence of his action of hacking into celebrities' emails and releasing their private photos to public. He is also ordered by U.S. District Judge S. James Otero to pay $66,179 in restitution to the victims.
Among the victims were Scarlett Johansson, Christina Aguilera, Renee Olstead and Mila Kunis. Arrested in October 2011 under "Operation Hackerazzi", Christopher was initially charged with 28 counts related to the hacking but pled guilty only to 9 felony counts.
Before the sentencing, 28-year-old ScarJo sent a videotaped message to court to testify against the hacker. "I have been truly humiliated and embarrassed," the former wife of Ryan Reynolds tearfully said. "I find Christopher Chaney's actions to be perverted and reprehensible."
Xtina agreed when she made her own testimony in a separate video. "That feeling of security can never be given back and there is no compensation that can restore the feeling one has from such a large invasion of privacy," the Grammy-winning singer noted.
Reene showed up before judge in person. "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" star said she considered suicide after her revealing photos leaked. "I just really hope this doesn't happen to someone else," she cried. "You can lose everything because of the actions of a stranger."
Christopher said that he hacked into others' email accounts out of curiosity as first but it later turned into an addiction. "I was almost relieved months ago when they came in and took my computer ... because I didn't know how to stop," he once said.
The number of his victim reportedly reached 50 people including Miley Cyrus, Jessica Alba, Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato. He accessed their accounts by resetting their passwords via "Forgot your password?" and answering security questions using public data he found on the web.
He insisted he made no money from the leaked photos. He sent the photos to another hackers and gossip sites. "I don't know what else to say except I'm sorry," he expressed his remorse. "This will never happen again."
More Scarlett Johansson News
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding