Madonna's 'MDNA' Ranks as No. 1 Concert Tour of 2012
Controversial pop icon Madonna has added another feather on her cap by topping this year's list of highest-grossing concert tours. According to Billboard, her world tour brought in the most money this year, reaching an incredible $228 million in revenues, besting rock and roll legend Bruce Springsteen's total of $198 million from his "The Wrecking Ball" tour with The E Street Band.
Madonna handily beat her younger contemporary, the equally-controversial Lady GaGa, who only managed to secure the no. 6 spot with $124 million from her "Born This Way Ball" tour. The notorious Material Girl is consistently in the headlines by making controversial stunts in her shows, like brandishing a gun onstage in Denver only shortly after the Colorado shooting during "The Dark Knight Rises" movie premiere, and handing out pink anti-homophobia wristbands to Russian fans.
With seventy more shows still lined up and potentially $450 million in total earnings, the "MDNA" tour may end-up as the all-time highest-grossing live act. The record is currently held by Irish rock band U2 for their "360 Degrees" tour which grossed a whopping $736 million from a total of 110 shows.
Other top acts in this year's list of highest-grossing tours include established artists Roger Waters with $186 million and Coldplay with $147 million. Teen sensations Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift also made it to the prestigious list, raking in $30 million and $26 million respectively.
More Madonna News
- Meek Mill Is Being Sued Over Deadly Shooting Outside His Concert Last Year
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 Debuts Chilling Motion Poster
- T.I. Confronts Tiny About Alleged Floyd Mayweather Affair
- Orlando Bloom 'Apologizes' to Waitress Who Was Fired After Their 'Night of Incredible Sex'
- Meek Mill Celebrates Birthday on Private Jet in 'Glow Up' Music Video
- 'The Predator' and 'Alita: Battle Angel' Promo Posters Are Spotted at Licensing Expo
- Nicki Minaj Finally Responds to Nas Dating Rumors: We've Had Sleepovers
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Is Among Netflix's June 2017 Movie and TV Titles