'Django Unchained' Stars Talk Film's Brutality and Respond to Connecticut Tragedy
Just a few weeks before the release of "Django Unchained", the United States was shocked by a devastating shooting tragedy at an elementary school in Connecticut. While some upcoming releases decided to pull back its press events following the tragedy, the Quentin Tarantino-helmed violent held its press junket on Saturday, December 15 in New York.
During the promotional event, lead actor Jamie Foxx weighed in on the ultra-violent tone of the spaghetti Western movie that could influence people in doing brutal actions. "We cannot turn our back and say that violence in films or anything that we do doesn't have a sort of influence. It does," the Django depicter acknowledged, as quoted by the Associated Press.
"Django" features plenty brutal and bloody scenes, including the one that sees [SPOILER ALERT!] blood explodes from human bodies as they get shot or shredded to pieces by rabid dogs. Responding to the subject, Tarantino admitted that he's tired of defending his movie every time there's a shooting tragedy happened in the States. "Tragedies happen," he claimed, insisting that the ones who should be blamed were those guilty of the crimes.
On the other hand, co-star Kerry Washington had her own opinion about the issue, believing that the explicit brutality in "Django" could be used as a lesson to inform audience about the violence in slavery era. "I do think that it's important when we have the opportunity to talk about violence and not just kind of have it as entertainment, but connect it to the wrongs, the injustices, the social ills," she insisted.
R-rated "Django" will open Stateside on Christmas Day, December 25. While the slavery era actioner continued its promo events amid the shooting tragedy, Tom Cruise's "Jack Reacher" decided to postpone its premiere in Pittsburgh last Friday. "Parental Guidance" also took the same action by canceling its special screening event in Los Angeles.
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones