'The Hobbit' Shatters December Opening Record on Box Office
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" sets the bar high on December box office with its record-breaking opening. The Middle Earth tale shatters this week's competition on the North American box office by scoring $84.6 million, which is the biggest three-day weekend gross ever for a December release.
Overseas, the first chapter of the Peter Jackson-directed fantasy trilogy has already raked in $223 million, beating Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" which collected $125.9 million in 2003. "The Hobbit" breaks the record previously held by Will Smith's "I Am Legend" which debuted to $77.2 million during the first weekend in December 2007.
Receiving a glowing "A" CinemaScore, "The Hobbit" attracts to 58% audience over the age of 25. Around 57% of the ticketbuyers are males. Commenting on the success, Warner Bros. Pictures president of domestic distribution, Dan Fellman, says, "It is great to see Peter's fans return, along with a new generation of that is embracing Middle Earth. We expect a long and exciting run."
Securing the runner-up spot is family film "Rise of the Guardians" which picks up $7.1 million for a total cume of $71.3 million in its fourth week. Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln", meanwhile, enters the third place with $7 million, dropping less than 19% from last week.
After returning to the top spot last week, "Skyfall" falls to the fourth place with an estimated $6.5 million. In its sixth week of playing Stateside, the James Bond movie bags a total gross of $272.3 million. Rounding up the top five is Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" which adds $5.4 million for its $69.5 domestic cume.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for December 14 - 16:
- "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" - $84.6 million
- "Rise of the Guardians" - $7.1 million
- "Lincoln" - $7 million
- "Skyfall" - $6.5 million
- "Life of Pi" - $5.4 million
- "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part II" - $5.1 million
- "Wreck-It Ralph" - $3.2 million
- "Playing for Keeps" - $3.1 million
- "Red Dawn" - $2.4 million
- "Silver Linings Playbook" - $2.1 million
- Corey Gamble Reportedly Cheats on Kris Jenner With Kourtney Kardashian - Is It True?
- She's Scarily Skinny! Janice Dickinson Looks Thinner Amid Health Crisis
- Drake Blocks Ariana Grande and Blake Shelton From Billboard 200's No. 1
- Bella Hadid Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Racy Bikini. See the Pic!
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Cradle Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Baby During Brunch
- Jeff Bridges Joins 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle'
- Demi Lovato Mourning Her Great-Grandma's Death. Read Her Touching Tribute
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Party in Las Vegas, Talk About Wedding Plans