Peter Jackson Reveals His Unrecognizable Cameo in 'The Hobbit'
Turns out Peter Jackson makes an on-screen appearance in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" aside from just serving behind the lens. For those who have watched the film, which has just opened this Friday, December 14, they might not notice that the New Zealand director was featured briefly in one scene of the movie.
For those who haven't seen the fantasy pic, this could be a spoilerish tidbit but Jackson's mysterious cameo was featured in [SPOILER ALERT!] a scene taken in Erebor. Hidden among the other bearded, helmeted and armored dwarves, the filmmaker was difficult to notice as he made the appearance.
Playing a "Carrot Chomper", Jackson was seen dressing up as a dwarf. He was spotted running away from Smaug as the dragon burst its fire breath all around the Lonely Mountain. Weighing in on his own cameo, Jackson told Empire magazine that he's happy that fans didn't recognize him because it meant that he's "succeeded" with the role.
When asked why he hid himself from the spotlight behind the dwarf role, Jackson explained, "I didn't have a great deal of choice." He admitted, "There weren't any human characters in this film, and they weren't any hobbits roles I could play... and I'm not an elf."
Additionally, Jackson shared that the decision to make the cameo came in the last few days of shooting. The "Lord of the Ring" helmer confessed that he was "horrified" at how uncomfortable the costume was.
Opening this weekend in theaters across the U.S., the first "Hobbit" film is poised to score big and break records during its debut. The movie itself follows Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield.
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Tops Box Office, 'Wonder Woman' Sets New Record
- A$AP Rocky Involved in a Fight During Kendrick Lamar's Set at Pre-BET Awards Party
- Netflix Cancels 'Girlboss' After One Season
- BET Awards 2017: Leslie Jones Mocks Amber Rose's 'Bush' Pic, Pokes Fun at Young Rappers' Names
- BET Awards 2017: Jada Pinkett Smith and Cardi B Ditch Bras, Blac Chyna Flashes Butt on Red Carpet
- Lorde Scores First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With 'Melodrama'
- New 'Marvel's Inhumans' Poster Reveals First Look at Attilan
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Denies Cheating Rumors