Peter Jackson Reveals His Unrecognizable Cameo in 'The Hobbit'
Turns out Peter Jackson makes an on-screen appearance in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" aside from just serving behind the lens. For those who have watched the film, which has just opened this Friday, December 14, they might not notice that the New Zealand director was featured briefly in one scene of the movie.
For those who haven't seen the fantasy pic, this could be a spoilerish tidbit but Jackson's mysterious cameo was featured in [SPOILER ALERT!] a scene taken in Erebor. Hidden among the other bearded, helmeted and armored dwarves, the filmmaker was difficult to notice as he made the appearance.
Playing a "Carrot Chomper", Jackson was seen dressing up as a dwarf. He was spotted running away from Smaug as the dragon burst its fire breath all around the Lonely Mountain. Weighing in on his own cameo, Jackson told Empire magazine that he's happy that fans didn't recognize him because it meant that he's "succeeded" with the role.
When asked why he hid himself from the spotlight behind the dwarf role, Jackson explained, "I didn't have a great deal of choice." He admitted, "There weren't any human characters in this film, and they weren't any hobbits roles I could play... and I'm not an elf."
Additionally, Jackson shared that the decision to make the cameo came in the last few days of shooting. The "Lord of the Ring" helmer confessed that he was "horrified" at how uncomfortable the costume was.
Opening this weekend in theaters across the U.S., the first "Hobbit" film is poised to score big and break records during its debut. The movie itself follows Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield.
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms
- Watch: Lady GaGa Performs 'Joanne' Songs on 'SNL'
- Tom Hanks Plays 'Black Jeopardy' as Donald Trump's Supporter on 'SNL'
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?