Carole King to Receive Prestigious Gershwin Prize for Popular Song
Carole King has been named the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song recipient by the Library of Congress. The veteran singer and songwriter is also the first woman to be given the prestigious prize, which applauds the "lifetime achievement of artists whose work exemplifies the standard of excellence associated with towering songwriters George and Ira Gershwin." She will receive the distinction for her vast body of work in music spanning five decades.
In a statement released via L.A. Times, King said, "I was so pleased when the venerable Library of Congress began honoring writers of popular songs with the Gershwin Prize." The singer gushed, "I'm proud to be the fifth such honoree and the first woman among such distinguished company. I look forward to performing in the nation's capital."
"Carole King has been one of the most influential songwriters of our time," Librarian of Congress, James H. Billington, said in his announcement. "For more than five decades, she has written for and been recorded by many different types of artists for a wide range of audiences, communicating with beauty and dignity the universal human emotions of love, joy, pain and loss. Her body of work reflects the spirit of the Gershwin Prize with its originality, longevity and diversity of appeal."
King will receive her Gershwin Prize in spring 2013 in a ceremony to take place in Washington, D.C. The event is usually attended by other big names in music who will pay a tribute to the year's recipient via performances of his or her songs. Other Gershwin Prize winners include Paul Simon, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, and the team of Hal David and Burt Bacharach.
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says