Adele's '21' and Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Make Top Sales on iTunes
Once again, Adele landed on the top of iTunes' album sales this year with her million selling work, "21". The Grammy-winning set, which also became the 21st LP to cross the 10 million mark last month, topped U.S. album sales for 2012, extending its strong domination in the charts for two years in a row. Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen's smash hit single "Call Me Maybe", meanwhile, was the most downloaded track on iTunes.
Following Adele in the album sales was Taylor Swift's latest release, "Red". The country/pop singer's album also hit 1.2 million in sales during its debut week in November, making her the only female artist in chart history to have two million-selling debut weeks. At number three was Mumford & Sons' "Babel", while One Direction's "Up All Night" took the No. 4 spot. Meanwhile, Fun.'s "Some Nights" landed in fifth place.
Australian musician Gotye followed Jepsen in the single's chart with his song "Somebody That I Used to Know", while Fun. turned up again with their anthemic hit "We Are Young" placing third in the tally. Rock group Maroon 5 made it to number four with their Wiz Khalifa colab, "Payphone". The Harajuku Barbie, Nicki Minaj, got the fifth spot with her single "Starships".
The tally was based on iTunes U.S. sales from January 1 to December 3. The digital music site did not reveal its sales or download figures for the particular list. The complete iTunes Best of 2012 list can be viewed at iTunes site
More Adele News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story