Adele's '21' and Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Make Top Sales on iTunes
Once again, Adele landed on the top of iTunes' album sales this year with her million selling work, "21". The Grammy-winning set, which also became the 21st LP to cross the 10 million mark last month, topped U.S. album sales for 2012, extending its strong domination in the charts for two years in a row. Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen's smash hit single "Call Me Maybe", meanwhile, was the most downloaded track on iTunes.
Following Adele in the album sales was Taylor Swift's latest release, "Red". The country/pop singer's album also hit 1.2 million in sales during its debut week in November, making her the only female artist in chart history to have two million-selling debut weeks. At number three was Mumford & Sons' "Babel", while One Direction's "Up All Night" took the No. 4 spot. Meanwhile, Fun.'s "Some Nights" landed in fifth place.
Australian musician Gotye followed Jepsen in the single's chart with his song "Somebody That I Used to Know", while Fun. turned up again with their anthemic hit "We Are Young" placing third in the tally. Rock group Maroon 5 made it to number four with their Wiz Khalifa colab, "Payphone". The Harajuku Barbie, Nicki Minaj, got the fifth spot with her single "Starships".
The tally was based on iTunes U.S. sales from January 1 to December 3. The digital music site did not reveal its sales or download figures for the particular list. The complete iTunes Best of 2012 list can be viewed at iTunes site
More Adele News
- 'True Blood' Alum Stephen Moyer Lands Lead Role on FOX's 'X-Men' Series Pilot
- Mariah Carey's Boobs Almost Spill Out of Her Plunging Dress at Vanity Fair's Oscars Party
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Go for a Date Night in Paris as Bella Hadid Parties Just Blocks Away
- Russell Crowe May Portray Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Keyshia Cole Punishes Cheating Boyfriend in 'You' Music Video Ft. Remy Ma and French Montana
- Vera Farmiga Set to Star as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Mother in 'Godzilla 2'
- Lorde Teases Upcoming Music With Mysterious Ad
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle