Adele's '21' and Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Make Top Sales on iTunes
Once again, Adele landed on the top of iTunes' album sales this year with her million selling work, "21". The Grammy-winning set, which also became the 21st LP to cross the 10 million mark last month, topped U.S. album sales for 2012, extending its strong domination in the charts for two years in a row. Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen's smash hit single "Call Me Maybe", meanwhile, was the most downloaded track on iTunes.
Following Adele in the album sales was Taylor Swift's latest release, "Red". The country/pop singer's album also hit 1.2 million in sales during its debut week in November, making her the only female artist in chart history to have two million-selling debut weeks. At number three was Mumford & Sons' "Babel", while One Direction's "Up All Night" took the No. 4 spot. Meanwhile, Fun.'s "Some Nights" landed in fifth place.
Australian musician Gotye followed Jepsen in the single's chart with his song "Somebody That I Used to Know", while Fun. turned up again with their anthemic hit "We Are Young" placing third in the tally. Rock group Maroon 5 made it to number four with their Wiz Khalifa colab, "Payphone". The Harajuku Barbie, Nicki Minaj, got the fifth spot with her single "Starships".
The tally was based on iTunes U.S. sales from January 1 to December 3. The digital music site did not reveal its sales or download figures for the particular list. The complete iTunes Best of 2012 list can be viewed at iTunes site
More Adele News
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'