Norah Jones, Slash and Ringo Starr Pay Tribute to Ravi Shankar
In the wake of his father Ravi Shankar's death, Norah Jones spoke lovingly of him and his legacy. "My Dad's music touched millions of people. He will be greatly missed by me and music lovers everywhere," the Grammy-winning jazz singer said in a statement.
Calling him a "genius," she said in an interview, "I remember when I found out that John Coltrane had come to him once to study....That impressed me at the time, more than the George Harrison thing just because I was such a jazz nerd. But you know it's all amazing. He's inspired a lot of musicians."
Rocker Slash tweeted his condolence, "Sad day; spiritual, cultural & music legend, Ravi Shankar dead at 92. RIP." Ringo Starr remembered the sitar maestro as saying in a statement, "Ravi was a great loss musically, spiritually and physically. God bless to Ravi's family."
k.d. lang sent her prayers as well, "Ravi Shankar....May you have a swift and positive rebirth.Thanks for being a musical ambassador." Christina Perri joined the mourners, "Rest in peace sweet ravi shankar. i hope you're making music again with george."
Ravi, who's George Harrison's former mentor, died on December 11 in San Diego after undergoing heart-valve replacement surgery. Already earning two Grammys before, he got a 2013 Grammy nomination for Best World Music Album, thanks to "The Living Room Sessions, Part 1". His daughter Anoushka also got a nod in the same category for "Traveller".
- Colton Haynes and Fiance Jeff Leatham Get Engaged Again. See Their Matching Rings
- The Weeknd Teams Up With Drake to Perform 'Crew Love' at Toronto Show for the First Time in 3 Years
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are House-Hunting in Norfolk
- Emmy Rossum and 'Mr. Robot' Creator Sam Esmail Tie the Knot in Intimate Ceremony. See the Pics!
- Caitlyn Jenner Says She's Never 'Entirely Comfortable' Having Sex With Kris
- 'Logan Lucky' First Trailer: Channing Tatum, Daniel Craig and Adam Driver Plan a Heist
- Sofia Richie Shuts Down Scott Disick Dating Rumors: We Are Just 'Homies'
- Pictures of Pippa Middleton and James Matthews' Tropical Honeymoon Surface