Paul McCartney to Fill in for Kurt Cobain in Nirvana Gig, Courtney Love Not Impressed
Paul McCartney will play with Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic at the 12-12-12 Sandy Benefit concert and will fill in for late frontman Kurt Cobain in what the surviving members of Nirvana call their reunion show. According to an official list of performers for the concert, McCartney will be on stage with Foo Fighters and jazz musician Diana Krall to close the Wednesday night event. The benefit show will take place at The Madison Square Garden in New York .
The former Beatle was asked by Grohl to join them on the show and "jam with some mates." These mates were former Nirvana bassist, Novoselic, and touring guitarist Pat Smear, who played with the band for the last six months of their career. The gig will mark Grohl and Novoselic's first performance together in 20 years, which leads them to call it a sort of Nirvana reunion.
McCartney had an amusing narrative to The Sun about how the collaboration came together. He said that they "just make something up" and found himself playing with the band. "I didn't really know who they were. They are saying how good it is to be back together. I said, 'Whoa? You guys haven't played together for all that time?' And somebody whispered to me, 'That's Nirvana. You're Kurt.' I couldn't believe it," he gushed.
Meanwhile, Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, is not impressed by McCartney filling in for her late husband. She told TMZ that she's "not amused" by the British singer's involvement and was upset that Grohl and Novoselic called the gig a Nirvana reunion. She added that Cobain was the heart and soul of the grunge rock group. "Look, maybe if John were still alive it would be cool," Love said.
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says