Spice Girls Reunite to Debut Their Stage Musical 'Viva Forever!'
Their group folded up more than a decade ago, but the five members of Spice Girls took the stage once again for a curtain call for the musical premiere of "Viva Forever!" on Tuesday, December 11 at London's West End. The Piccadilly Theatre was filled with fans and followers of "Girl Power" to support Posh Spice (Victoria Adams), Scary Spice (Melanie Brown), Baby Spice (Emma Bunton), Sporty Spice (Melanie C) and Ginger Spice (Geri Halliwell).
Set to some of the group's hits including "Wannabe", "Spice Up Your Life" and the title track, the stage musical was loosely-based on the girls' sudden rise to stardom in the 1990s. It was the idea of producer Judy Craymer, who also produced the worldwide hit musical "Mamma Mia!", and British comedian Jennifer Saunders, who used the group's "Girl Power" theme while setting it in today's world of Twitter and TV talent shows.
The story follows Viva, a highly-spirited teenager who, together with her friends, joins a talent show resembling "The X Factor". Then, in a surprising twist, their mentor on the show throws out the other three members of the group, leaving Viva on her own. It compels audiences to reflect on what is more important - family, friends or fame.
For the premiere, Victoria Adams brought along her husband, soccer superstar David Beckham, and their three sons. She posed separately from the other members of the girlband on the red carpet.
Spice Girls have sold over 55 million records and had nine British No. 1 singles during their heyday, but broke up due to internal squabbles and power struggles within the group. They last performed together in this year's summer Olympics held in London as well.
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy
- Going Too Far? Halsey Shades Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and Katy Perry
- Are Park Bo Gum and Jang Nara Getting Married?
- Will Ferrell's 'The House' Co-Star Speaks Up About Mariah Carey's Diva Behaviors on Set
- Here's Why Kenya Moore Kept Her Husband's Identity Secret
- Taylor Swift Makes Many Heartbreak Songs for New Album Despite Blooming Romance With Joe Alwyn
- Are They Hooking Up? Amber Rose Spotted Leaving a Club With 21 Savage