'Angry Birds' Movie Officially in the Works for 2016 Release
Celebrating its third anniversary on Tuesday, December 11, fan-favorite arcade game "Angry Birds" announced that it would have its own feature film. Rovio Entertainment, which develops the world's popular game, has confirmed that a big screen adaptation for the game is officially in development with "Despicable Me" producer John Cohen.
The plan is to make the "Angry Birds" film a 3D CG-animated feature that will be released in the summer of 2016. Serving as the executive producer is David Maisel, the former Chairman of Marvel Sudios who also executive produced "Iron Man".
Upon announcing the project, Rovio CEO, Mikael Hed, said, "John's an exceptionally talented producer, and we're delighted to have him join the flock." He gushed, "With John's hands-on producer background and David's expertise in establishing and running his own successful studio, these two are the dream team for making a movie outside the studio system. Both professionals have the ideal skills and vision to achieve incredible things."
Cohen himself responded, "I'm so excited and honored to be working on this film with Mikael, David, and Rovio's incredibly talented game developers and artists. From both an entertainment and strategic perspective, Rovio is at the forefront of game innovation and is trailblazing terrific new ways for Angry Birds fans to interact with these characters. I've personally spent countless hours playing the Angry Birds games over the last few years, which I can now happily justify as research for the movie."
With Ravio backing up the project, the producer believed it would be an "innovative entertainment at the highest level of quality." Maisel gushed, "John's experience, expertise, and passion are perfect for the Angry Birds film and I look forward to working with him to create the best movie experience for all the fans."
Debuted in 2009, the "Angry Birds" game has been downloaded more than 1 billion times across platforms and versions. Most recently, the game launched its latest venture, "Angry Birds Star Wars", which soared to the top of the U.S. iPhone charts within two and a half hours of release.
- Kourtney Kardashian on Reconciling With Scott Disick: 'I'm So Not There Yet'
- Listen to Preview of Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E.Mo.Tion: Side B' Tracks
- Here's Your First Look at Kristin Chenoweth's Easter on 'American Gods'
- Prince's Paisley Park Home Will Be Open for Public in October
- Terminally Ill Fan Got Special Screening of 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Before Passing
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week