James Franco's Childhood Footage Used in 'Can't Say Goodbye' Video
James Franco and his bandmate Tim O'Keefe released one more single from their debut Daddy EP and its music video. The visual of "Can't Say Goodbye" made use of Franco's childhood footage from the time he was a baby to adolescence.
Debuted via MTV.com, the video actually contains emotional weight that Franco carried. "The song is really sad for me, actually," he told MTV. "When I was in Detroit, my father died, so I wrote a song kind of about it. I feel like the lyrics aren't super-explicit so it can be kind of a goodbye to anyone. That was the inspiration, and then my mother had recently dug up all the home movies that she had, so we thought it would be a good connection if we used those images for this song."
Speaking further on his father, the actor said, "It's such a weird thing to lose a parent. And to have it happen when I was in the middle of a movie - they certainly let me go back home and deal with the situation and the funeral. They were very gracious about that. But I also did feel pressure that I put on myself. I felt responsible to finish this movie, this huge movie. There were hundreds of people just waiting for me to come back. It just made this strange situation even more difficult to deal with in some ways."
"I kind of tucked it away to deal with it later emotionally. But one of the great things I found was in this song, and then some other projects that I was doing, I could kind of deal with it that way. I could deal with it with creative pursuits. It seemed like the best and easiest way to grieve."
Daddy had previously released "Love in the Old Days" as the first single off their EP.
More James Franco News
- Kevin Jonas Welcomes His Second Child With Wife Danielle
- Mariah Carey's Rep Reveals Lovers' Quarrel in Greece Leads to Her Split From James Packer
- 'Will and Grace' Revival in the Works
- Jealous Rob Kardashian Under Investigation for Threatening Blac Chyna's Alleged Lover
- 'Cormoran Strike' Series Based on J.K. Rowling's Novels Lands at HBO
- Miley Cyrus Talks Engagement Ring That She Puts Back on After Liam Hemsworth Reconciliation
- Raven-Symone to Leave 'The View' For 'That's So Raven' Spin-Off
- Kristen Stewart and St. Vincent Make Red Carpet Debut as Couple at Vogue Event