James Franco's Childhood Footage Used in 'Can't Say Goodbye' Video
James Franco and his bandmate Tim O'Keefe released one more single from their debut Daddy EP and its music video. The visual of "Can't Say Goodbye" made use of Franco's childhood footage from the time he was a baby to adolescence.
Debuted via MTV.com, the video actually contains emotional weight that Franco carried. "The song is really sad for me, actually," he told MTV. "When I was in Detroit, my father died, so I wrote a song kind of about it. I feel like the lyrics aren't super-explicit so it can be kind of a goodbye to anyone. That was the inspiration, and then my mother had recently dug up all the home movies that she had, so we thought it would be a good connection if we used those images for this song."
Speaking further on his father, the actor said, "It's such a weird thing to lose a parent. And to have it happen when I was in the middle of a movie - they certainly let me go back home and deal with the situation and the funeral. They were very gracious about that. But I also did feel pressure that I put on myself. I felt responsible to finish this movie, this huge movie. There were hundreds of people just waiting for me to come back. It just made this strange situation even more difficult to deal with in some ways."
"I kind of tucked it away to deal with it later emotionally. But one of the great things I found was in this song, and then some other projects that I was doing, I could kind of deal with it that way. I could deal with it with creative pursuits. It seemed like the best and easiest way to grieve."
Daddy had previously released "Love in the Old Days" as the first single off their EP.
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture
- Iggy Azalea and French Montana Are Pictured Kissing as a Source Confirms Their Relationship
- It's Official: 'Pretty Little Liars' to End With Season 7, 'Grimm' Canceled After 6 Seasons
- Red Band Trailer for 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' Sees Halle Berry as the Comedian's Bond Girl
- Watch Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj Ooze Sexiness in 'Side to Side' Video