PSY Performs at 'Christmas in Washington' Gig Amidst Anti-American Rap Controversy
Dressed up in his usual shockingly bright and shimmering sequined suit, Internet superstar PSY performed at the 31st annual "Christmas in Washington" benefit show which was taped on Sunday, December 9 at Washington D.C.'s National Building Museum. President Barack Obama and family also attended the event that benefits the Children's National Medical Center. Singers Diana Ross, Demi Lovato, Scotty McCreery, Chris Mann, and "Smash" star Megan Hilty were also present at the holiday concert taping.
PSY, who recently released a public apology for his decade-old Anti-American song and videos against the U.S. military and the war in Iraq, kicked off his performance with the holiday classic "The Christmas Song". However, that number did not last long as the South Korean rapper, born Park Jae-Sang, leaped to his ever-reliable hit "Gangnam Style" to liven up the crowd. The Washington VIPs in the building managed to stay throughout PSY's amusing, and at the same time baffling performance.
Meanwhile, veteran performer, Diana Ross, was the opening act for the event. She went for a Christmas medley that included "Jingle Bells", "Sleigh Ride", and "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". Actress/singer Demi Lovato brought a sassy rendition of the song "All I Want for Christmas Is You" while Megan Hilty sang "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". "The Voice" talent Chris Mann gave his performance of "I'll Be Home for Christmas" and McCreery gave an upbeat number for the single "Santa Claus Is Back in Town".
During the Sunday night taping, the President reminded the audience to reach out and help the less fortunate. "Tonight is a chance to get in the Christmas spirit; to spread some joy and sing along with artists who have much better voices than we do," Obama joked. "But it's also a chance to make a real difference in the lives of some very brave young people being treated at Children's National Medical Center. Many of these kids and their parents are going through tough times right now, and your support helps give them a reason to hope - not just during the holidays, but all year round."
"Christmas in Washington" will air on TNT on December 21 at 8 P.M. ET/PT. Comic and TV personality Conan O'Brien will host the special holiday event.
- Officially Back On? Kylie Jenner Tags Tyga on Her Booty In This Instagram Photo
- Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim Separate After 11 Years of Marriage
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?