Dallas Cowboys' Josh Brent Released From Jail After Killing His Teammate in Car Crash
Josh Brent has been released from prison on $500,000 bond after taken into custody on suspicion of intoxication manslaughter following a fatal car accident that killed his Dallas Cowboys teammate Jerry Brown. The car crash happened in Irving, Texas, early Saturday morning, December 8.
Brent, 24, sat behind the wheel when the car hit an "outside curb, causing the vehicle to flip at least one time before coming to rest in the middle of the service road." Brown, 25, who was in the passenger seat was pronounced dead after taken to a nearby hospital, while Brent only suffered "minor scrapes."
Brent, who pleaded guilty to 2009 DWI, failed a sobriety test and was subsequently arrested.
Brent was best friend with Brown after they became roommates and teammates at Illinois and Dallas. "I am devastated and filled with grief," the defensive tackle said in statement issued by his agent Saturday night. "Filled with grief for the loss of my close friend and teammate, Jerry Brown."
"I am also grief-stricken for his family, friends and all who were blessed enough to have known him. I will live with this horrific and tragic loss every day for the rest of my life. My prayers are with his family, our teammates and his friends at this time."
Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones was also "deeply saddened by the news of this accident and the passing of Jerry Brown." He added, "At this time, our hearts and prayers and deepest sympathies are with the members of Jerry's family and all of those who knew him and loved him."
Fellow teammate Marcus Spears additionally said, "We all are hurting and in pain and feeling devastated. At this point, you've got to be brothers, through the tough times and get to him [Brent] and try to encourage him and comfort him, because there are going to be some tough days ahead."
- Selena Gomez's '13 Reasons Why' Sparks Concerns Among School Officials and Health Experts
- Report: Taylor Swift and Harry Styles Getting Back Together
- 'DWTS' Stars Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Survive Attempted Break-In
- Heather Morris on Her 'DWTS' Elimination: 'I Was Very Happy for the Last Time to Be Amazing'
- Tyga's Afraid of Losing Kylie Jenner Forever as He Feels 'Threatened' by Travis Scott
- Hailee Steinfeld's New Song 'Most Girls' Will Arrive This Week
- Tiny's 'Nervous' to Divorce T.I.: Their Children Are Her Biggest Concern
- Madonna Slams Biopic 'Blonde Ambition'