L.A. Film Critics Choose 'Amour' as Best Film of the Year
After New York Film Critics Circle revealed its winners last week, this time it's Los Angeles Film Critics Association which announced the winners of its awards on Sunday, December 9. Naming Michael Haneke's romantic drama "Amour" its Best Film of the year, the association also hailed Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" as the runner-up for the coveted title.
In addition to claiming the top prize, the French movie collected the Best Actress award for Emmanuelle Riva. She was tied for the title with Jennifer Lawrence for her well-reviewed performance in "Silver Linings Playbook". As for the Best Actor, the prize went to Joaquin Phoenix for his role in "Master", while Denis Lavant became the runner-up thanks to his acting stint in "Holy Motors".
While "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" won big at NYFCC Awards, the film only collected one title at LAFCA. The Osama bin Laden hunt film snatched the Best Film Editing award for Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg. Its director Kathryn Bigelow, meanwhile, became the runner-up for Best Director, defeated by "Master" helmer P.T. Anderson.
The awards would be handed out to the winners during a scheduled ceremony on January 12 at the Intercontinental Hotel. During the event, LAFCA would also honor documentary filmmaker Frederick Wiseman with its career achievement award.
- Winner: "Frankenweenie"
- Runner-Up: "It's Such a Beautiful Day"
- Winner: "The Gatekeepers"
- Runner-Up: "Searching for Sugar Man"
- Winner: "Holy Motors"
- Runner-Up: "Footnote"
- Winner: Dylan Tichenor, William Goldenberg, "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)"
- Runner-Up:William Goldenberg, "Argo"
- Winner: Dan Romer, Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
- Runner-Up:Jonny Greenwood, "The Master"
- Winner: "Leviathan"
- Winner: Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny