Box Office: 'Skyfall' Reclaims Champion Title, 'Playing for Keeps' Fails
In its fifth week of playing in the North American cinemas, Sam Mendes' "Skyfall" returns to the top spot of box office. Collecting $10.7 million, the James Bond movie continues to break record as the highest-grossing movie from Sony Pictures. It grosses $918 million worldwide, defeating Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 3" which took in $890 million in 2007.
The Daniel Craig-starring film beats defending-champion "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part II", which now falls to the third spot after topping the chart for three weeks in a row. The vampire movie, which becomes the highest grosser in the franchise, bags $9.1 million for a total domestic gross of $268.7 million.
Landing on the runner-up spot is "Rise of the Guardians" with an estimated $10.5 million for a total cume of $61.9. Meanwhile, Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" secures the fourth spot with $8.9 million, and Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" rounds up the top five with $8.3 million.
The bad news this week comes from Gerard Butler's soccer drama "Playing for Keeps" which opens to a disappointing result on the sixth place. Also starring Jessica Biel, the dramedy receives a "B+" CinemaScore, but it only takes in $5.7 million on its first weekend. The film marks Butler's another box office flop after his recent surfing drama "Chasing Mavericks".
On specialty box office, Bill Murray's "Hyde Park on Hudson" grosses $83,280 from only four screens for a strong location average of $20,820. Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Opera's live broadcast of Verdi's "Un Ballo in Maschera" takes in $2 million from 800 theaters over the weekend.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for December 7 - 9:
- "Skyfall" - $10.7 million
- "Rise of the Guardians" - $10.4 million
- "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part II" - $9.1 million
- "Lincoln" - $8.9 million
- "Life of Pi" - $8.3 million
- "Playing for Keeps" - $5.7 million
- "Wreck-It Ralph" - $4.8 million
- "Red Dawn" - $4.2 million
- "Flight" - $3.1 million
- "Killing Them Softly" - $2.8 million
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance