'Alice in Wonderland' to Get Sequel Treatment
Scoring massive success with Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" in 2010, Walt Disney Pictures can't wait to develop its sequel. According to Variety, the Mouse House has already hired Linda Woolverton to pen the follow-up movie project.
Details of the plot are still kept secret. While the first film was based on Lewis Carroll's classic tale "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", the sequel reportedly will be inspired by "Through the Looking-Glass" which sees Alice escaping from the real world pressure by returning to Wonderland.
It is still unclear whether or not Burton will return to direct the untitled Alice in Wonderland sequel and whether the original cast members will reprise their roles. The first film starred Mia Wasikowska as Alice, Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter, Helena Bonham Carter as Red Queen, and Anne Hathaway as White Queen.
"Alice in Wonderland" has grossed more than $1 billion worldwide and it also won Oscars for Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design. Apart from the "Alice" sequel, Disney is currently developing some other classic tale pics, including "Maleficent", "Cinderella", "Peter and the Starcatchers" and "Magic Kingdom".
As for scribe Woolverton, she has teamed up with Disney in a number of acclaimed films such as "The Lion King", "Beauty and the Beast (1991)", "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey" and "Maleficent". She also contributed in "Mulan" and "Aladdin".
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed