'Alice in Wonderland' to Get Sequel Treatment
Scoring massive success with Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" in 2010, Walt Disney Pictures can't wait to develop its sequel. According to Variety, the Mouse House has already hired Linda Woolverton to pen the follow-up movie project.
Details of the plot are still kept secret. While the first film was based on Lewis Carroll's classic tale "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", the sequel reportedly will be inspired by "Through the Looking-Glass" which sees Alice escaping from the real world pressure by returning to Wonderland.
It is still unclear whether or not Burton will return to direct the untitled Alice in Wonderland sequel and whether the original cast members will reprise their roles. The first film starred Mia Wasikowska as Alice, Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter, Helena Bonham Carter as Red Queen, and Anne Hathaway as White Queen.
"Alice in Wonderland" has grossed more than $1 billion worldwide and it also won Oscars for Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design. Apart from the "Alice" sequel, Disney is currently developing some other classic tale pics, including "Maleficent", "Cinderella", "Peter and the Starcatchers" and "Magic Kingdom".
As for scribe Woolverton, she has teamed up with Disney in a number of acclaimed films such as "The Lion King", "Beauty and the Beast (1991)", "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey" and "Maleficent". She also contributed in "Mulan" and "Aladdin".
- Jimmy Kimmel Breaks Down Oscar Mix-Up: How Denzel Washington Helped Save the Day
- Get a Look at New 'Wonder Woman' Cool Photos and Concept Art
- Which Green Lantern Member to Appear in 'Justice League' Allegedly Revealed
- Ashley Tisdale Claps Back at Fat-Shamers Saying She Looks Pregnant
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga's Wedding Is Going to Get Spin-Off Series
- Josh Hartnett and Girlfriend Expecting Baby No. 2 - See Her Baby Bump at Oscars After-Party
- Kong Destroys Helicopters and Kills Skull Crawlers in Final 'Kong: Skull Island' Trailer
- Halle Berry Skinny-Dipping in the Night After Oscars. Watch the Video!