Stephen Baldwin Arrested for Tax Evasion, Mugshot Surfaces
Stephen Baldwin was apprehended on Thursday, December 6 in Rockland County, New York as he failed to file state income taxes for more than $350,000 from 2008 until 2010. Posing for mugshot, the "Slap Shot 2: Breaking the Ice" actor looked dapper in a black jacket and a matching tie with his hair slicked back.
"At a time when Rockland County and New York State face severe fiscal shortfalls, we cannot afford to allow wealthy residents to break the law by cheating on their taxes," D.A. Thomas P. Zugibe said in a statement regarding Stephen's arrest. "The defendant's repetitive failure to file returns and pay taxes over a period of several years contributes to the sweeping cutbacks and closures in local government and in our schools."
Thomas Mattox, the state tax commissioner, regretted such action had to be taken in Stephen's case. He stated, "It is rare and unfortunate for a personal income tax case to require such strong enforcement measures."
Meanwhile, Stephen explained that he wasn't able to pay for his debt because he went bankrupt during the questioned years. The 46-year-old actor filed for bankruptcy protection in 2009. For the details, the "Fall Time" actor owed $1,2 million on two mortgages, $1 million in taxes, and $70,000 on credit cards.
Via a phone interview, he claimed, "I didn't commit a crime." Furthermore, he said that he had passed $100,000 check to the state at his arraignment. The former star of "The Young Riders" added, "My ability to make the payment I did today, as a sign to the state and district attorney, that I'm working to get this resolved."
The youngest of the Baldwin brothers pleaded not guilty and was released on his own recognizance. He was scheduled to return to court on February 5, 2013. According to Stephen's lawyer, Russell Yankwitt, the actor shouldn't be charged.
The lawyer stated, "Mr. Baldwin did not commit any crimes, and he's working with the district attorney's office and the New York State Tax Department to resolve any differences." The actor could be sentenced for four years if he's found guilty.
- Are J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Readying New Show Together?
- La La Vazquez Parties at NYC Strip Club After Ditching Kim Kardashian's Mexican Getaway
- Paris Jackson Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skimpy Outfit
- La La Vazquez Is Too Heartbroken to Join Kim Kardashian's Vacation in Mexico
- Harry Styles Makes a Mysterious Response to His Han Solo Casting Rumors
- G-Dragon and Sulli's Recent Instagram Posts Fuel Dating Speculation
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Pissed at Heather Morris' Shocking 'DWTS' Elimination
- Eww! Kim Kardashian Says Big Sis Kourtney Threw Up in Her Bed Four Times and Slept in It