Stephen Baldwin Arrested for Tax Evasion, Mugshot Surfaces
Stephen Baldwin was apprehended on Thursday, December 6 in Rockland County, New York as he failed to file state income taxes for more than $350,000 from 2008 until 2010. Posing for mugshot, the "Slap Shot 2: Breaking the Ice" actor looked dapper in a black jacket and a matching tie with his hair slicked back.
"At a time when Rockland County and New York State face severe fiscal shortfalls, we cannot afford to allow wealthy residents to break the law by cheating on their taxes," D.A. Thomas P. Zugibe said in a statement regarding Stephen's arrest. "The defendant's repetitive failure to file returns and pay taxes over a period of several years contributes to the sweeping cutbacks and closures in local government and in our schools."
Thomas Mattox, the state tax commissioner, regretted such action had to be taken in Stephen's case. He stated, "It is rare and unfortunate for a personal income tax case to require such strong enforcement measures."
Meanwhile, Stephen explained that he wasn't able to pay for his debt because he went bankrupt during the questioned years. The 46-year-old actor filed for bankruptcy protection in 2009. For the details, the "Fall Time" actor owed $1,2 million on two mortgages, $1 million in taxes, and $70,000 on credit cards.
Via a phone interview, he claimed, "I didn't commit a crime." Furthermore, he said that he had passed $100,000 check to the state at his arraignment. The former star of "The Young Riders" added, "My ability to make the payment I did today, as a sign to the state and district attorney, that I'm working to get this resolved."
The youngest of the Baldwin brothers pleaded not guilty and was released on his own recognizance. He was scheduled to return to court on February 5, 2013. According to Stephen's lawyer, Russell Yankwitt, the actor shouldn't be charged.
The lawyer stated, "Mr. Baldwin did not commit any crimes, and he's working with the district attorney's office and the New York State Tax Department to resolve any differences." The actor could be sentenced for four years if he's found guilty.
More Stephen Baldwin News
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation