Video: Jay-Z Talks to Old Lady in Subway
Jay-Z released a 24-minute documentary that contains an adorable moment between him and an older lady who did not recognize him. Back in October, the rapper took subway to his final performance at Brooklyn, New York's Barclays Center and sat next to the lady, named Ellen.
Ellen saw the people screaming around Jay-Z and asked him, "Are you famous?" He humbly replied, "Not very famous, you don't know me, but I'll get there someday." He then introduced himself to her and she asked what his occupation is. "I make music," Jay-Z said, adding he was on his way to his last concert.
Ellen praised Jay-Z for taking the subway. "I'm proud of you," she said, before asking for Jay-Z's full name and realizing that she knows the name.
After the footage went public on Tuesday, December 4, Ellen talked to Washington Post of her encounter with the rapper. "In general I have poor face recognition unless I know someone really well. I was aware Jay-Z was famous and existed, but I didn't know how famous," she said via phone.
Identified as Ellen Grossman, the 67-year-old is an artist who, like Jay-Z, was born in Brooklyn. "I've become much more aware of what he's done and who he is," Ellen recalled the meeting. "And as I checked him out, I realized, how embarrassing that I didn't know who he was! There were all these photographers and a crowd of happy people around him, and security people. So it sort of dawned on me as I was looking around that he was someone famous."
More Jay-Z News
- Shia LaBeouf Rips Drake, Lil Yachty and More in New Freestyle
- Jennifer Lawrence Reveals Why She Thinks She's a Curse to Hawaiians
- First Footage of 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Unveils Spidey's Classic Web Wings
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants to Reunite With Angelina Jolie Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Katie Holmes Finally Addresses Her 'Secret Relationship' With Jamie Foxx
- Watch Jessie J Writhe Around in 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You' Video
- Kate McKinnon and T.J. Miller Go Wild in New 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- New 'The Walking Dead' Photo Teases Graphic Scene for Carl in 'Sing Me a Song'