Video: Jay-Z Talks to Old Lady in Subway
Jay-Z released a 24-minute documentary that contains an adorable moment between him and an older lady who did not recognize him. Back in October, the rapper took subway to his final performance at Brooklyn, New York's Barclays Center and sat next to the lady, named Ellen.
Ellen saw the people screaming around Jay-Z and asked him, "Are you famous?" He humbly replied, "Not very famous, you don't know me, but I'll get there someday." He then introduced himself to her and she asked what his occupation is. "I make music," Jay-Z said, adding he was on his way to his last concert.
Ellen praised Jay-Z for taking the subway. "I'm proud of you," she said, before asking for Jay-Z's full name and realizing that she knows the name.
After the footage went public on Tuesday, December 4, Ellen talked to Washington Post of her encounter with the rapper. "In general I have poor face recognition unless I know someone really well. I was aware Jay-Z was famous and existed, but I didn't know how famous," she said via phone.
Identified as Ellen Grossman, the 67-year-old is an artist who, like Jay-Z, was born in Brooklyn. "I've become much more aware of what he's done and who he is," Ellen recalled the meeting. "And as I checked him out, I realized, how embarrassing that I didn't know who he was! There were all these photographers and a crowd of happy people around him, and security people. So it sort of dawned on me as I was looking around that he was someone famous."
More Jay-Z News
- Jessica Williams Is Leaving 'The Daily Show' to Headline New Comedy Series
- Pregnant Alanis Morissette Completely Naked in This Beautiful Underwater Photo
- Video: Lady GaGa and Caitlyn Jenner Among 49 Stars Honoring Orlando Shooting Victims
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand