Channing Tatum Will Take Hiatus From Acting to Focus on Directorial Debut
Channing Tatum has become one of Hollywood's most tireless actors throughout this year by starring in at least five successful films, including "The Vow", "21 Jump Street" and "Magic Mike". Though he still has a number of movies waiting to be released in 2013, Tatum admits that he's planning to take a break from acting next year to focus on his attempt to make his directorial debut.
The husband of Jenna Dewan shares to Entertainment Weekly that he and his production partner, Reid Carolin, are planning to put their focus on finding a suitable project for his first directorial effort in 2013. "[Reid and I] have about three to four ideas that we love that are all in the hopper," so says the "10 Years" star.
Of his plan to take a pause from acting, the 32-year-old actor says, "By the end of the year, we're going to shut down and write the first thing that we're going to direct. We're going to be like, alright, no more acting parts for a minute, let's take a few and really get caring about that section of our career." The actor has been eyeing a "Magic Mike" sequel and an Evel Knievel biopic with Carolin.
"I love the steps that I've taken acting-wise," the Alabama-born actor, who has recently been named the 2012 Sexiest Man Alive by PEOPLE, goes on sharing. "But I don't want to just keep putting [directing] off for these fun and incredible opportunities."
Tatum might not have a film education background, but he believes he could helm a film by learning from acclaimed filmmakers, including his "Magic Mike" director Steven Soderbergh. "I don't think Reid and I would have the balls to try to make a movie without learning what we did from Soderbergh and [assistant director] Greg Jacobs," he says.
"It was like a crazy crash course Cliff Notes on directing and how to make movies, literally get them done," he adds. "We had a Matrix-style download, like a plug in the back of the head and bloop! I know Kung Fu now."
For next year, Tatum still has some of his movies lining up to be released. They include the delayed "G.I. Joe: Retaliation", the Presidential-themed actioner "White House Down" and the true story drama "Foxcatcher". Also, he'll be reuniting with Soderbergh in medical thriller "Side Effects".
More Channing Tatum News
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy
- Going Too Far? Halsey Shades Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and Katy Perry
- Are Park Bo Gum and Jang Nara Getting Married?
- Will Ferrell's 'The House' Co-Star Speaks Up About Mariah Carey's Diva Behaviors on Set
- Here's Why Kenya Moore Kept Her Husband's Identity Secret
- Taylor Swift Makes Many Heartbreak Songs for New Album Despite Blooming Romance With Joe Alwyn
- Are They Hooking Up? Amber Rose Spotted Leaving a Club With 21 Savage