New 'The Hobbit' TV Spot Reveals First Look at Dragon Smaug
A very first glimpse at the Dragom Smaug in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" has finally been unveiled in a new TV spot for the highly-anticipated movie. The dragon, played via mo-cap performance by Benedict Cumberbatch, is seen spreading its wings on the sky while spitting its fire breath as its wreaks havoc in a village.
"The Hobbit" itself follows the journey of Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakensheild.
Director Peter Jackson has received positive early reviews for his visual works in the movie, despite the fact that he got criticisms when first introducing the 48FPS technology used in the pic earlier this year. After seeing the movie, even director Bryan Singer praised it as tweeting, "Just saw #Hobbit. Having some serious frame rate envy. Amazing and involving. Loved it! And @ianmckellen118, my friend, you are brilliant!"
The movie is also included in the top ten short list of 2013 Oscar contenders for Best Visual Effect. It will compete with the likes of "The Dark Knight Rises", "The Avengers", "The Amazing Spider-Man", "Cloud Atlas", "John Carter", "Life of Pi", "Skyfall", "Prometheus" and "Snow White and the Huntsman".
Warner Bros. Pictures will release "The Hobbit" in the U.S. cinemas on December 14.
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her
- Carmelo and La La Anthony Put on United Front for Sake of Their Son