George Lucas on His Role in the New 'Star Wars': I Don't Really Have Much to Do
Though he has passed his leadership on LucasFilm to Kathleen Kennedy, George Lucas would still be involved in the making of "Star Wars Episode 7". Speaking to Access Hollywood, the creator of the world's famous space saga opened up about his duties as a "consultant" for the much-talked-about Disney/LucasFilm movie project.
"[If the filmmakers ask], 'Who's this guy?' I can tell them," so Lucas told the site when attending the Governor's Awards over the weekend. "I mean, they have a hundred encyclopedias and things, but I actually know a lot. I can say, 'This is this and this is that'," he elaborated further about how he would lend his helping hand for the filmmakers of the new trilogy. "Basically I'm not - I don't really have much to do."
During the brief chat, Lucas also weighed in on his best friend Steven Spielberg's recent rejection to direct the new trilogy because it's not his "genre." Though Lucas once gushed that the "Lincoln" helmer was "probably the most brilliant director working in the business today," the "Indiana Jones" creator laughed at the idea that his buddy would helm the big film franchise.
The 68-year-old veteran filmmaker said, "I'm pretty sure he'd never want to do that!" Noting that Spielberg would never have a change of heart, the Modesto-born helmer stated, "I don't think he'd want to."
"Star Wars" is still hunting for its director. Further details of the project are currently scarce, but some people have been speculating that the story will take place after the events in "Return of Jedi". The movie is projected to arrive in the U.S. theaters sometime in 2015.
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics