Kim Kardashian's Bahrain Visit Met With Protests From Hardline Muslims
Kim Kardashian's visit to Bahrain to launch a new outlet for her Millions of Milkshakes franchise met riots. On Saturday, December 1, police threw tear gas and stun grenades to break off about 100 hardline Islamic protesters who were not pleased with her presence in their country.
According to Bahrain's English language Gulf Daily News, Sunni Muslim MPs had presented a motion to parliament prior to her arrival, calling her "an actress with an extremely bad reputation". However, the motion gained no traction and was not put to a vote.
The demonstrators then gathered outside The Walk Bahrain, a mall in the capital Manama, where Kardashian was to launch the store later that day. They held signs in Arabic and chanted "God is great". One banner stated, "Syria receives martyrs while Bahrain receives whores." Police cleared them out before Kardashian went to the mall.
Despite the denouncement, Kardashian appeared to enjoy her visit to Bahrain. She was quoted by a local newspaper as saying at the launching, "People from the States should come here because the country and the people are so amazing and welcoming that I am planning to be back here on my vacation." She also tweeted, "Thanks Sheikh Khalifa for your amazing hospitality. I'm in love with The Kingdom of Bahrain."
Kardashian also opened another branch of milkshake store in Kuwait earlier this week. She found time to meet U.S. Ambassador to Kuwait Matthew Tueller on Wednesday before flying to Bahrain. After that she flew to Germany.
More Kim Kardashian News
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof
- Kendall Jenner on Freeing Her Nipples: 'I Don't See What the Big Deal Is'