'Innocence of Muslims' Actress Loses Her Latest Bid to Remove the Movie From YouTube
Cindy Lee Garcia, the actress who appears in controversial anti-Muslim movie "Innocence of Muslims", failed in her latest attempt to take down the film from YouTube. On Friday, November 30, U.S. District Court Judge Michael Fitzgerald denied her request for the movie removal, reasoning that she would likely lost her case.
Cindy previously asked the court to grant her a temporary restraining order barring YouTube from spreading the film online based on claim that she was duped by the producer Mark Bassely Youssef a.k.a Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, but her plea was turned down. The rejection led her to file a bigger lawsuit naming Nakoula, YouTube and its parent company Google as defendants.
The actress argued that she owned the rights to her performance in the film and never signed a release form. "Even assuming both that Garcia's individual performance in the film is copyrightable and that she has not released this copyright interest, the nature of this copyright interest is not clear," the judge said Friday. "Nor is it clear that the defendants would be liable for infringement."
In response, her lawyer Cris Armenta stated, "Unfortunately, our client, Ms. Garcia, is a woman of extremely modest means. Aside from this film turning her life upside down and being subjected to frightening death threats and threats of harm, she does not have the financial resources to continue to wage battle against internet giants."
"Her entire legal team, of four lawyers in three different states and abroad, stands firmly behind the principles that were put before the court," the attorney additionally said. "We hope that worldwide the message has been heard that Ms. Garcia was not complicit and did not voluntarily participate in this heinous piece of hate speech."
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!