Gabby Douglas Almost Quit Gymnastics to Get a Job in Fast Food Restaurant
Gabby Douglas said her journey to Olympics was filled with bumps on the road, and she now says that during those hardship, she once considered to quit her training. The Gold medalist tells PEOPLE she almost gave up her dream to work in fast food restaurant, Chick-Fil-A.
"What was I thinking?" the young athlete says now that she pocketed two Gold medals from London Olympic Games last summer. "My life has changed so much," she gushes about her life post her double victory at the world-caliber competition. "It's been really fun."
Since Olympics, Gabby has met her idol Ian Somerhalder and appeared on his TV series "The Vampire Diaries". She has also been invited to attend the MTV Video Music Awards and meet the President at the White House. She has also shared her story to Oprah Winfrey.
During the interview with Oprah, she revealed that she was bullied during her early training at a gym in Virginia Beach, Va. She said, "I was just, you know, kind of getting racist jokes, kind of being isolated from the group. So it was definitely hard. I would come home at night and just cry my eyes out."
Gabby is the first African-American woman and the first female of color to become the individual all-around winner in Olympic history. She's also the first U.S. gymnast to win gold in both the individual all-around and team competitions at the same Olympic Games. She's called an inspiration by celebrities like Beyonce Knowles and Nicki Minaj.
She's going to release a book "Grace, Gold, & Glory: My Leap of Faith" chronicling her journey to Gold on December 4.
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'
- 'Reign' Canceled by The CW After 4 Seasons
- It's Official! Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner Are Dating
- Are Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera Collaborating on New 'Glory' Remix?
- Sia Splits From Husband of Two Years, Erik Anders Lang
- Is Angelina Jolie Giving Brad Pitt a Second Chance?