Gabby Douglas Almost Quit Gymnastics to Get a Job in Fast Food Restaurant
Gabby Douglas said her journey to Olympics was filled with bumps on the road, and she now says that during those hardship, she once considered to quit her training. The Gold medalist tells PEOPLE she almost gave up her dream to work in fast food restaurant, Chick-Fil-A.
"What was I thinking?" the young athlete says now that she pocketed two Gold medals from London Olympic Games last summer. "My life has changed so much," she gushes about her life post her double victory at the world-caliber competition. "It's been really fun."
Since Olympics, Gabby has met her idol Ian Somerhalder and appeared on his TV series "The Vampire Diaries". She has also been invited to attend the MTV Video Music Awards and meet the President at the White House. She has also shared her story to Oprah Winfrey.
During the interview with Oprah, she revealed that she was bullied during her early training at a gym in Virginia Beach, Va. She said, "I was just, you know, kind of getting racist jokes, kind of being isolated from the group. So it was definitely hard. I would come home at night and just cry my eyes out."
Gabby is the first African-American woman and the first female of color to become the individual all-around winner in Olympic history. She's also the first U.S. gymnast to win gold in both the individual all-around and team competitions at the same Olympic Games. She's called an inspiration by celebrities like Beyonce Knowles and Nicki Minaj.
She's going to release a book "Grace, Gold, & Glory: My Leap of Faith" chronicling her journey to Gold on December 4.
- Kate Beckinsale Can't Keep Her Hands Off Toy Boy Matt Rife During Movie Date
- Kevin Feige Confirms Miles Morales Is Part of MCU
- Protective Boyfriend The Weeknd Tells Selena Gomez to Cover Up
- Steve Harvey Announces Daughter's Engagement Amid Career Mess
- 'The Walking Dead': Negan Will Be Missing Several Episodes of Season 8
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Make a Pact to Stay Civil for the Kids
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 14 Continues With New York Auditions
- Kelly Osbourne Pees Herself After Denied Entry to Starbucks