Trace Adkins: I Did Not Intend Offense With My Confederate Flag Earpiece
On Wednesday night, November 28, Trace Adkins sparked controversy as he's seen rocking a Confederate flag earpiece when performing at the live-televised Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lightning event. Quickly pouring cold water on the frenzy, the country singer took to his personal site to explain his decision in wearing the much-talked-about earpiece.
Claiming that he didn't mean to offend anyone, the 50-year-old artist stated, "As a proud American I object to oppression of any kind." He continued writing from Japan, "To me, the battle flag represents remembrance of my Southern lineage - I am a descendant of Confederate soldiers who followed that flag into battle."
"I advocate for the preservation of America's battlefields and honest conversation about our Country's history," so the Louisiana-born singer explained. "To those who view the flag as a symbol of racism, that was not my message and I did not intend offense."
Adkins stirred the controversy during his performance of "The Christmas Song" at the nationally-televised event. Some people saw the flag as a symbol of racism and quickly blasted the conservative singer on Twitter.
Apart from the event, Adkins once sparked controversy when he delivered his song "Tough People Do" during the Republican National Convention. Adkins also made a political statement by being a member of The Sons of Confederate Veterans, which he explains in his autobiography, "A Personal Stand: Observations and Opinions From a Freethinking Roughneck".
- Justin Timberlake Votes Early but He Lands in Trouble for Taking Ballot Selfie
- 'Walking Dead' Slammed by Parents TV Council Over Brutal Deaths
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting