Trace Adkins: I Did Not Intend Offense With My Confederate Flag Earpiece
On Wednesday night, November 28, Trace Adkins sparked controversy as he's seen rocking a Confederate flag earpiece when performing at the live-televised Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lightning event. Quickly pouring cold water on the frenzy, the country singer took to his personal site to explain his decision in wearing the much-talked-about earpiece.
Claiming that he didn't mean to offend anyone, the 50-year-old artist stated, "As a proud American I object to oppression of any kind." He continued writing from Japan, "To me, the battle flag represents remembrance of my Southern lineage - I am a descendant of Confederate soldiers who followed that flag into battle."
"I advocate for the preservation of America's battlefields and honest conversation about our Country's history," so the Louisiana-born singer explained. "To those who view the flag as a symbol of racism, that was not my message and I did not intend offense."
Adkins stirred the controversy during his performance of "The Christmas Song" at the nationally-televised event. Some people saw the flag as a symbol of racism and quickly blasted the conservative singer on Twitter.
Apart from the event, Adkins once sparked controversy when he delivered his song "Tough People Do" during the Republican National Convention. Adkins also made a political statement by being a member of The Sons of Confederate Veterans, which he explains in his autobiography, "A Personal Stand: Observations and Opinions From a Freethinking Roughneck".
- Meghan Markle Wants Prince Harry to Build Her 'Enormous' Shoe Room at Kensington Palace
- Kylie Jenner Licks Khloe Kardashian's Chest in Saucy Pic for 'KUWTK' 10th Anniversary
- Hacker Threatens to Leak 'Orange Is the New Black' Season 5 Unless Netflix Pays Ransom
- Sean Paul Connects With Migos for Epic Beach Party in New Video for 'Body'
- Justin Bieber 'Loves' Popping His Pimples Just to Get Attention
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Will Be Set in Hogwarts Stand-In Location
- Brad Pitt to Have Plactic Surgery as Angelina Jolie Divorce Ruins His Appearance
- ABC's 'Gong Show' Reboot Taps Tommy Maitland or Presumably Mike Myers in Disguise to Host