Alicia Keys Sets Black Ball Redux Date on December 6
Not even a super hurricane can stop singer Alicia Keys from bringing hope this year to a lot of deserving children. The "Girl on Fire" artist and proud mom announced on Wednesday, November 27 that her Black Ball REDUX gala, originally planned for November 1, would now take place on December 6 at Harlem's Apollo Theater. Superstorm Sandy hit New York early this month causing the event's rescheduling.
Black Ball is part of Key's Keep a Child Alive charity organization and is an annual music fundraising event that brings entertainment and philanthropy together to raise funds for HIV/AIDS infected children in Africa and India. This year's gala night will honor two highly respectable women namely media queen Oprah Winfrey and singer/activist Angelique Kidjo for their philanthropic contributions in Africa and worldwide.
For the December date, the ball will also put together amazing performances from blues singer Bonnie Raitt, actress and recording artists Jennifer Hudson, and Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard. Female comic and TV personality Whoopi Goldberg will take the hosting role for that evening.
"In Africa and India where Keep a Child Alive works, HIV is a disaster that's tearing families apart every day. And while it would be easier to turn away right now, with all that has happened in my hometown, it would be disastrous for the children who count on us for survival. So for them, we're going to turn it up - and turn it out at the Black Ball REDux!" said Keys in the announcement.
More Alicia Keys News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story