Alicia Keys Sets Black Ball Redux Date on December 6
Not even a super hurricane can stop singer Alicia Keys from bringing hope this year to a lot of deserving children. The "Girl on Fire" artist and proud mom announced on Wednesday, November 27 that her Black Ball REDUX gala, originally planned for November 1, would now take place on December 6 at Harlem's Apollo Theater. Superstorm Sandy hit New York early this month causing the event's rescheduling.
Black Ball is part of Key's Keep a Child Alive charity organization and is an annual music fundraising event that brings entertainment and philanthropy together to raise funds for HIV/AIDS infected children in Africa and India. This year's gala night will honor two highly respectable women namely media queen Oprah Winfrey and singer/activist Angelique Kidjo for their philanthropic contributions in Africa and worldwide.
For the December date, the ball will also put together amazing performances from blues singer Bonnie Raitt, actress and recording artists Jennifer Hudson, and Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard. Female comic and TV personality Whoopi Goldberg will take the hosting role for that evening.
"In Africa and India where Keep a Child Alive works, HIV is a disaster that's tearing families apart every day. And while it would be easier to turn away right now, with all that has happened in my hometown, it would be disastrous for the children who count on us for survival. So for them, we're going to turn it up - and turn it out at the Black Ball REDux!" said Keys in the announcement.
More Alicia Keys News
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Corinne Can't Have 'a Normal Relationship', Nick Picks Top Three
- A Little Too Early? Kourtney Kardashian Lets 4-Year-Old Daughter Penelope Wear a Lip Ring
- 'Gossip Girl' Alum Penn Badgley Marries Domino Kirke in Brooklyn Courthouse
- 'Dancing with the Stars': 'Glee' Star Heather Morris Joins Season 24, Some Pairings Are Revealed
- DJ Khaled Films Top Secret Video With Justin Bieber, Chance The Rapper and More
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards