Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used to Know' Is Spotify's Song of the Year
Melbourne singer-songwriter Gotye is apparently very popular among the digital music world's listeners. His hit "Somebody That I Used to Know" was named song of the year on Wednesday, November 27 by the digital music service site Spotify.com. The multi-platinum pop song is the most streamed globally this year and earned Gotye a very surprising accomplishment.
"Somebody That I Used to Know" was released in the US on January 2012 and has become the most streamed track in the country. It also has the most shares globally on social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook. The Aussie-Belgian singer's song has also reached the top spot in 18 countries including the U.K., U.S., and his native Australia.
Following Gotye on the most streamed songs for this year are Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen for her smash hit "Call Me Maybe" and Fun.'s "We Are Young". The two songs take the second and third places respectively.
Meanwhile, French celebrity DJ David Guetta gets the digital music nod for most streamed album globally with his fifth studio set "Nothing but the Beat". The double album features the DJ's collaboration with big artists such as Usher, Sia, Lil Wayne, and Nicki Minaj. It has produced the hits "Titanium" with Sia and "Turn Me On" with Minaj.
The star DJ is also this year's most streamed male artist, while R'n'B hitmaker Rihanna is most streamed female artist. British act Coldplay take the nod for most streamed group.
- The Weeknd and Selena Gomez Plan 'Summer Wedding' in Europe
- Taylor Swift Is Taking a Break From Social Media After Struggling With Instagram Bullies
- Watch: John Legend Surprises London Commuters With Mini-Concert at Train Station
- Rob Kardashian Hints at Wanting More Kids as He's Gearing Up for Baby Dream's First Birthday
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Are Still Dating, Despite Breakup Reports
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Was Drug-Tested for 'Tomb Raider'
- Chris Pine Shaves His Head Bald. Find Out How 'Homeland' Inspired His New Look
- Tyga Threatens to Sue Blac Chyna for Defamation After Snapchat Rant