Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used to Know' Is Spotify's Song of the Year
Melbourne singer-songwriter Gotye is apparently very popular among the digital music world's listeners. His hit "Somebody That I Used to Know" was named song of the year on Wednesday, November 27 by the digital music service site Spotify.com. The multi-platinum pop song is the most streamed globally this year and earned Gotye a very surprising accomplishment.
"Somebody That I Used to Know" was released in the US on January 2012 and has become the most streamed track in the country. It also has the most shares globally on social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook. The Aussie-Belgian singer's song has also reached the top spot in 18 countries including the U.K., U.S., and his native Australia.
Following Gotye on the most streamed songs for this year are Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen for her smash hit "Call Me Maybe" and Fun.'s "We Are Young". The two songs take the second and third places respectively.
Meanwhile, French celebrity DJ David Guetta gets the digital music nod for most streamed album globally with his fifth studio set "Nothing but the Beat". The double album features the DJ's collaboration with big artists such as Usher, Sia, Lil Wayne, and Nicki Minaj. It has produced the hits "Titanium" with Sia and "Turn Me On" with Minaj.
The star DJ is also this year's most streamed male artist, while R'n'B hitmaker Rihanna is most streamed female artist. British act Coldplay take the nod for most streamed group.
- Anderson Cooper Was Once Set Up With Andy Cohen, but Turned It Down
- Justin Bieber Spotted Reuniting, Holding Hands With Hailey Baldwin in Los Angeles
- Kid Cudi Teams Up With Travis Scott for 'Baptized in Fire', Reveals the Release Date of New Album
- Michael Fassbender Engages in Epic Carriage Chase in Extended 'Assassin's Creed' Clip
- J. Cole to Release New Album '4 Your Eyez Only'
- Andrew Garfield Wouldn't Mind Being Stranded on Desert Island With Emma Stone
- Kylie Jenner Flaunts Famous Derriere in Racy Fishnet Tights
- Madonna Admits She's 'Difficult to Work With' in Promo for Showtime Special