Joel Edgerton, Jim Sturgess and Lee Pace Racing to Win 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Lead
Marvel Studios apparently already moves forward with its "Guardians of the Galaxy" project. The studio reportedly has assembled a short list of actors who will test for the lead role in the big gig. Deadline reports that a number of in-demand actors are in the running to win the part of Peter Quill, the Guardians leader who is an offspring of a human mom and an alien dad.
According to the site, "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" actor Joel Edgerton is in the mix for the coveted role. He is also competing with "Boardwalk Empire" star Jack Huston, "Cloud Atlas" thesp Jim Sturgess, "Lincoln" star Lee Pace, and "Les Miserables" actor Eddie Redmayne. Those well-known actors are said to be in contention but it is still unknown if the studio's short list is all-inclusive.
Words are, "On the Road" actor Garrett Hedlund, "Hairspray" thesp James Marsden, and "Animal Kingdom" star Sullivan Stapleton are also interested in the role. Marvel and Walt Disney Pictures have yet to comment on the testing report.
For those who are unfamiliar with Quill a.k.a Star-Lord, the character leads a group of alien superheros including Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Drax the Destroyer and Gamora to protect the solar system from an evil force. They come from the future and another dimension. In Marvel comics, the Guardians also work with The Avengers to protect the universe.
The "Guardians of the Galaxy" film project has hired James Gunn as the director and Black List scribe Chris McCoy as the screenwriter. The movie reportedly will follow a far-future story revolving around a group of alien beings - each the last of their kind - who eventually travel back in time to protect the earth from alien invasion. Marvel plans to release the flick Stateside on August 1, 2014.
- Ellen DeGeneres Punishes Audience Member for Stealing on the Show
- Report: Shin Min A Accompanies BF Kim Woo Bin Receiving Cancer Treatment
- Alexis Bledel Returns for 'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 as Series Regular
- Cheryl Signs Up for Private Boxing Sessions in an Attempt to Get Back Into Shape After Giving Birth
- Jake Gyllenhaal Loses His Legs in Boston Marathon Bombing in Intense Trailer for 'Stronger'
- 50 Cent Has the Hots for Helen Mirren Despite 30-Year Age Gap: 'She Turns Me On'
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sparks Plastic Surgery Speculations
- Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers Revive 'SNL' 'Really?!' Segment to Mock Pro-Trump Protesters