Joel Edgerton, Jim Sturgess and Lee Pace Racing to Win 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Lead
Marvel Studios apparently already moves forward with its "Guardians of the Galaxy" project. The studio reportedly has assembled a short list of actors who will test for the lead role in the big gig. Deadline reports that a number of in-demand actors are in the running to win the part of Peter Quill, the Guardians leader who is an offspring of a human mom and an alien dad.
According to the site, "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" actor Joel Edgerton is in the mix for the coveted role. He is also competing with "Boardwalk Empire" star Jack Huston, "Cloud Atlas" thesp Jim Sturgess, "Lincoln" star Lee Pace, and "Les Miserables" actor Eddie Redmayne. Those well-known actors are said to be in contention but it is still unknown if the studio's short list is all-inclusive.
Words are, "On the Road" actor Garrett Hedlund, "Hairspray" thesp James Marsden, and "Animal Kingdom" star Sullivan Stapleton are also interested in the role. Marvel and Walt Disney Pictures have yet to comment on the testing report.
For those who are unfamiliar with Quill a.k.a Star-Lord, the character leads a group of alien superheros including Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Drax the Destroyer and Gamora to protect the solar system from an evil force. They come from the future and another dimension. In Marvel comics, the Guardians also work with The Avengers to protect the universe.
The "Guardians of the Galaxy" film project has hired James Gunn as the director and Black List scribe Chris McCoy as the screenwriter. The movie reportedly will follow a far-future story revolving around a group of alien beings - each the last of their kind - who eventually travel back in time to protect the earth from alien invasion. Marvel plans to release the flick Stateside on August 1, 2014.
More Guardians of the Galaxy News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences