Cate Blanchett to Be Cinderella's Evil Stepmom in New Film Adaptation
While Angelina Jolie plays "Sleeping Beauty" antagonist in upcoming film "Maleficent", Cate Blanchett could end up playing Cinderella's evil stepmom in a new live action take on the world's famous fairytale. Deadline breaks the news that the "Elizabeth" actress is "in deep talks" to star in Walt Disney Pictures' new version of "Cinderella".
The Oscar-winning "The Aviator" actress is courted to play Lady Tremaine, the famous wicked mother of Cinderella's step sisters Anastasia and Drizella. The movie will be directed by Mark Romanek with Chris Weitz penning the script. The pitch was sold by "The Devil Wears Prada" scribe Aline Brosh McKenna in 2010 for a seven-figure deal.
The film still hasn't tapped its titular glass slippers princess and her prince charming. It is also still unclear when the project will kick off production.
As described in Charles Perrault's classic fairytale, Lady Tremaine, who has two mean daughters from her previous marriage, marries Cinderella's father. At first, she seems very nice to the princess but later shows her true color as an evil and jealous woman after the tragic death of Cinderella's father.
The classic version of "Cinderella" was made by Disney in 1950, telling the story of an unfortunate girl dreaming of a prince. The story had been adapted in a number of feature films such as "Ever After" and "A Cinderella Story". It is not yet known whether the new live-action version will bend from its original story or not.
Cate Blanchett will soon be seen reprising her role as Galadriel in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey". She's recently attached to George Clooney's "The Monuments Men", which also stars Daniel Craig, Jean Dujardin and Bill Murray.
- Bye 'KUWTK'! Kim Kardashian Is Focusing on Her New Show 'Glam Masters'
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Are Getting Serious
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Are Spotted on Movie Date in Chicago
- Mac Miller Wants to Cancel His Tour to Be by Ariana Grande's Side After Concert Bombing
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' New Vanity Fair Covers Offer New Look at Cast Members
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child