Adele's '21' Album Reaches 10 Million in Sales
Adele's multi-awarded album "21" has reached yet another record-breaking achievement. This time, the English soul singer can brag about her album going over the 10 million sales mark this week. According to Nielsen SoundScan, "21" reached the milestone in just 92 weeks, or under two years.
Since its release back in February 2011, Adele's sophomore effort has continuously made its presence felt in the Billboard charts. It debuted on top of the Billboard 200 garnering sales of 352,000 copies and then relentlessly staying in the Top 10 for 80 weeks. Last week, the soul-pop set reeled in 28,000 more in sales pushing it to reach a total 10,020,000 units sold.
With the new numbers in hand, Adele's "21" fittingly becomes the 21st record to pass the 10 million sales mark. It also stands as the third album to hit those numbers in 2012. Usher's "Confessions" and Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory" have also crossed the 10 million tally earlier this year.
Billboard also reported that the 11-track album is one of only eight sets to reach the record-breaking sales within a span of two years or 92 weeks. It joins other record-holders such as NSYNC's "No Strings Attached" (43 weeks), Alanis Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill" (66 weeks), "The Bodyguard" soundtrack (72 weeks), Creed's "Human Clay" (93 weeks), Santana's "Supernatural" (60 weeks), Shania Twain's "Come on Over" (96 weeks), and Backstreet Boys' "Millennium" (39 weeks), which is also the fastest album to reach the 10 million mark.
More Adele News
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Reveals A.D. in Series Finale. Did You See It Coming?
- Britney Spears Slams Lip-Sync Accusations: 'Nobody Ever Really Gives Me Credit'
- 'Gotham' Star Donal Logue's Child Is Missing
- 'Star Trek' Alum to Direct an Upcoming Episode of 'Star Trek: Discovery'
- Kim Kardashian Mom-Shamed Over Saint West's Front-Facing Car Seat
- Rihanna Caught Making Out With Mystery Man in Spain
- Kendrick Lamar Gets Violent in New Brutal Video for 'Element'
- 'Girl with Dragon Tattoo' Star Michael Nyqvist Dies at 56