The Black Keys Settle Lawsuit Over Songs Used in Home Depot and Pizza Hut Ads
The Black Keys finally reach a settlement in their copyright lawsuit against Home Depot and Pizza Hut for allegedly using their songs in the companies' TV commercials. Lawyers of the band informed a federal judge in Los Angeles that the settlement with Pizza Hut was reached on Monday, November 26 while the one with Home Depot was done earlier this month.
The Grammy-winning group filed a case last June against the two corporate giants claiming that their songs "Lonely Boy" and "Gold on the Ceiling" were misused in the TV ads of the companies. The former was reportedly used by Home Depot in an ad to sell power tools, while the latter song was used to sell pizza. Both companies denied copying or misusing the songs.
Though no immediate comments were taken from representatives of Home Depot and Pizza Hut, The Hufftington Post reported that attorneys from the concerned parties were expected to file formal dismissals in early January.
"Lonely Boy" and "Gold on the Ceiling" were two tracks that went on to top the Billboard alternative music chart after their respective releases on October 2011 and February 2012. Both belonged to the Black Keys' seventh studio album titled "El Camino". The set was released last year and has sold 840,000 copies. The band have also won a Grammy award for Best Alternative Music Album for their 2010 effort "Brothers".
- BET Awards 2016: Drake and Future Among First Winners
- BET Awards 2016: See Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Karrueche Tran's Showstopping Styles on Red Carpet
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage
- Aziz Ansari Puts Donald Trump on Blast in Scathing Op-Ed Over Anti-Muslim Remarks
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die