Kevin Feige Confirms No Other Avengers Will Show Up in 'Iron Man 3'
Speculations that "Iron Man 3" might feature appearance from other "The Avengers" members are not true after all. Marvel Studios producer Kevin Feige has confirmed that no other Avengers will show up in the third armored hero movie, though admitting that the events in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes flick somehow affect Tony Stark in the upcoming film.
"By the end of Avengers, when a portal is opened up in Manhattan and he's met Thor and The Hulk and the Chitauri are coming down on him, he realizes that he doesn't know everything; we think that has had an effect on his psyche, and then his world is blown out from underneath him," Feige tells Empire magazine.
Furthermore, he claims, "Iron Man 3 doesn't feature any of the other Avengers, or Nick Fury showing up, or any of those world-blending conceits that the Phase One films had. You have to keep in mind that Iron Man 3 had been in the works for almost a year, year and a half before The Avengers was released. We're sticking to the vision for these films, and showing once again that these characters are just as interesting alone as they are together."
Speaking about "Iron Man 3" villain, Feige reveals that there are challenges in bringing The Mandarin to the film. "Early - and very late - drafts of Iron Man 1 featured The Mandarin as a villain. The Mandarin is his most famous foe in the comics mainly because he's been around the longest. If you look, there's not necessarily a definitive Mandarin storyline in the comics," he says.
"So it was really about having an idea. In terms of the Fu Manchu stereotyping that was involved, we never had any interest in that. He's relentless. Assuming that he's the one responsible for what happens to Tony's house, no other villain has been able to strike that fast and that hard at one of our heroes. He's very much about believing that the world needs to learn, and he wants to bend the world to his vision."
Weighing in on Iron Patriot suit, which belongs to Rhodey, Feige says, "The notion in the movie is that a red, white and blue suit is a bold statement, and it's meant to be. With Rhodey, he's very much the foil to Tony's eccentricities, and in this one you get to see this and be reminded of the trust and friendship between them in that great Shane Black buddy-cop fashion."
"Iron Man 3" will open Stateside on May 3, 2013. Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle return as Tony, Rhodey and Pepper Potts respectively. Ben Kingsley, meanwhile, stars as The Mandarin.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce