Beyonce Knowles, Miguel, Elle Varner Among Artists Honored at Soul Train Awards 2012
This year's Soul Train Awards honored works from top performers such as Beyonce Knowles, Miguel and Elle Varner at the ceremony taking place at Planet Hollywood Live in Las Vegas on Sunday, November 25. Celebrities in the R'n'B and Hip-Hop world including Ne-Yo and Fantasia Barrino also gave performances during the event.
Cedric the Entertainer hosted the evening's festivities, which awarded Beyonce with two trophies for Best R&B/Soul Female Artist and Best Dance Performance, and gave away the Best R&B/Soul Male Artist to "Kaleidoscope Dream" artist Miguel. Singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist Elle Varner nabbed the Best New Artist award and also gave a wonderful and passionate performance of her song "Refill".
Other great performances of the night came from a medley played by music legend Stevie Wonder, a cover of Aretha Franklin's "Don't Play That Song" by singer Fantasia, and a current hit performance from Ne-Yo of the song "Let Me Love You (Until You Learn to Love Yourself)".
The awards night also honored the musical contributions of R'n'B group New Edition as they were handed the Lifetime Achievement Award. The quintet was formed back in 1978 and was responsible for such hits like "Candy Girl" and "Mr. Telephone Man". A special tribute for the late "Soul Train" creator and host, Don Cornelius, was also conducted that night.
Big names who graced the event included Jamie Foxx, Billy Crystal, Earvin Johnson, "The Vampire Diaries" star Katerina Graham, and English Grammy Award-winning singer Estelle, who was also given the nod for Best International Performance.
Soul Train 2012 Winners:
- Best New Artist: Elle Varner
- Centric Award: Leah LaBelle
- Best Gospel/ Inspirational Performance: Whitney Houston & Jordin Sparks - "Celebrate"
- Best Hip Hop Song of the Year: Kanye West ft. Big Sean, Pusha T and 2 Chainz - "Mercy"
- Best R&B/ Soul Female Artist: Beyonce Knowles
- Best R&B/ Soul Male Artist: Miguel
- Album of the Year: Frank Ocean - "Channel Orange"
- Song of the Year: Tyrese Gibson - "Stay"
- The Ashford & Simpson Songwriter's Award: "Tonight (Best You Ever Had)" - John Legend ft. Ludacris
- Best Dance Performance: Beyonce Knowles - "Love on Top"
- CENTRICTV.com Best Caribbean Performance: Sean Paul - "Tomahawk Technique"
- CENTRICTV.com Best International Performance: Estelle - "Thank You"
- CENTRICTV.com Best Independent R&B/ Soul Artist or Group: Eric Roberson
- CENTRICTV.com Best Traditional Jazz Artist/ Group (Tied): The Robert Glasper Experiment - "Black Radio" and Tony Bennett - "Isn't It Romantic"
- CENTRICTV.com Best Contemporary Jazz Artist/ Group: Esperanza Spalding - Radio Music Society
More Beyonce Knowles News
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?