Ex-BBC Boss Testifies at Inquiry on Canceled Investigation of Jimmy Savile Scandal
Former Director General of BBC, Mark Thompson, appeared before a closed-door inquiry led by Nick Pollard in London on Friday, November 23 on BBC scandal. He's expected to testify in an aborted investigation into a sexual abuse case against the late Jimmy Savile.
Thompson, who is currently serving as the president and chief executive of The New York Times Company, answered questions about his knowledge in Savile scandal. He's also expected to give evidence in the "Newsnight" aborted investigation into Savile sexual abuse allegations.
The former BBC exec previously claimed he had no knowledge of the allegations against the former "Top of the Pops" host until a documentary about Savile aired on ITV at the beginning of October.
In September, lawyers on behalf of Thompson sent a legal letter to the Sunday Times threatening to sue the paper for libel if he was accused of editorial interference. While he denied allegation of suppressing the "Newsnight" investigation, critics thought his act to send the letter indicated he knew more about the Savile abuse scandal than he had said.
An unnamed aide to Thompson later claimed that the former BBC chief indeed orally authorized the letter, but he did not know details of its content.
Pollard, the former head of Sky News, hasn't released any statements about details of the inquiry. He recently said that he would provide his report in the inquiry to BBC in mid-December, not in November as originall planned.
- Portia de Rossi Wants Ellen DeGeneres to Enter Rehab
- Kelly Ripa Involved in Drug Overdose Scandal
- Justin Timberlake Teases His Upcoming Collab With Timbaland and Pharrell
- Blac Chyna Blasts Tyga on Snapchat for Not Paying Her Child Support
- Watch Teaser of 'War of the Planet of the Apes' New Trailer
- Watch Danny Brown's Graphic Video for 'Ain't It Funny', Directed by Jonah Hill
- 'DWTS': After Alleged Diva Behavior, Nancy Kerrigan Now Threatens to Quit the Show
- Prince's Ex-Wife Reveals Devastating Addiction and Secret Overdoses Before His Tragic Death