Ex-BBC Boss Testifies at Inquiry on Canceled Investigation of Jimmy Savile Scandal
Former Director General of BBC, Mark Thompson, appeared before a closed-door inquiry led by Nick Pollard in London on Friday, November 23 on BBC scandal. He's expected to testify in an aborted investigation into a sexual abuse case against the late Jimmy Savile.
Thompson, who is currently serving as the president and chief executive of The New York Times Company, answered questions about his knowledge in Savile scandal. He's also expected to give evidence in the "Newsnight" aborted investigation into Savile sexual abuse allegations.
The former BBC exec previously claimed he had no knowledge of the allegations against the former "Top of the Pops" host until a documentary about Savile aired on ITV at the beginning of October.
In September, lawyers on behalf of Thompson sent a legal letter to the Sunday Times threatening to sue the paper for libel if he was accused of editorial interference. While he denied allegation of suppressing the "Newsnight" investigation, critics thought his act to send the letter indicated he knew more about the Savile abuse scandal than he had said.
An unnamed aide to Thompson later claimed that the former BBC chief indeed orally authorized the letter, but he did not know details of its content.
Pollard, the former head of Sky News, hasn't released any statements about details of the inquiry. He recently said that he would provide his report in the inquiry to BBC in mid-December, not in November as originall planned.
- Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz Are 'Living Separate Lives'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Spin-Off 'Mayans MC' Taps John Ortiz to Star as New Charter President
- Selena Gomez May Dump The Weeknd After He's Caught Texting Ex Bella Hadid
- BRIT Awards 2017: David Bowie Wins Top Prizes - See the Full Winner List
- 'Star' and 'Lethal Weapon' Renewed for Second Season on FOX
- Watch Kardashians-Inspired Cat Reality Show 'Keeping Up With The Kattarshians'
- Beyonce and Jay-Z Are Moving to L.A.
- Sara Sampaio Flashes Her Nipple in Sheer Dress at Milan Fashion Week