BBC Appoints Tony Hall as New Director General
BBC has found a new man to fill the top position of Director General. Tony Hall, who is the current chief executive of Royal Opera House, has been appointed to take the duty starting March 2013.
Speaking to journalists at the BBC's central London headquarters, Hall said it took a lot to "drag me away" from the Royal Opera House, but he cared "passionately about the BBC." He added, "I am absolutely committed to our news operation as a world-beater."
BBC Trust chief Lord Patten said, "Tony has a formidable reputation, first of all in almost three decades at the BBC. He's had an equally distinguished record as leader of one of the great cultural organizations in the U.K."
Hall, who is a former Director of News in BBC, is named the new Director General after George Entwistle resigned from the position, just 54 days after he began his service. He exited the U.K. public broadcaster following a misrepoting, in which "Newsnight" incorrectly linked Lord McAlpine, the former adviser to Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, to a sexual abuse scandal.
The blunder forced BBC to apologize and issue a retraction. McAlpine, who claimed he wasn't called before "Newsnight" broadcast the report, was left fuming by the false reporting. He said, "Of course they should have called me and I would have told them exactly what they learned later on."
Calling the report "complete rubbish," he continued blasting the network, "They could have saved themselves a lot of agonizing and money, actually, if they'd just made that telephone call. It gets into your bones. It gets into, it makes you angry. And that's extremely bad for you to be angry. And it gets into your soul and you just think there's something wrong with the world."
- Soulja Boy Charged on Suspicion of Illegally Possessing Firearms
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Tension Between Corinne and Other Girls Is About to Get Physical
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Gets Official Title, Mark Hamill Reacts
- Michelle Williams Reveals She Was 'Inconsolable' After Leaving Shared Home With Heath Ledger
- Mel Gibson Welcomes Baby No. 9 - Is It a Boy or a Girl?
- Lady GaGa Set to Release New Album in 2017
- 'My Super Sweet 16' Is Getting a Revival on MTV
- Iggy Azalea's New Beau LJay Currie Gets Two Handfuls of Her Boobs and Ass