One Direction Top Billboard 200 With 'Take Me Home'
Boyband power proves to be very strong this week as One Direction get the top spot on the Billboard 200 chart with their sophomore album, "Take Me Home". The fivesome hold off their top competitors such as big name artists Christina Aguilera, Soundgarden, and Lana Del Rey, selling 540,000 units of their newest LP.
The achievement marks the second time this year that the group debuts at No.1. Their "Up All Night" set also soared to the top of the charts back in March but with more significantly low sales of only 176,000 copies. The new number for "Take Me Home" gives 1D the third largest debut week of the year, following Taylor Swift's "Red" (1.2 million) and Mumford & Sons' "Babel" (600,000).
Meanwhile, last week's chart topper, "Red", now dips to the second spot after enjoying three weeks at No.1. It comes in with 145,000 copies sold this week, bringing it to a total of 1.89 million copies sold since its debut four weeks ago.
"The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part II" soundtrack debuts at No.3 with 93,000 units sold. Another newcomer, The Weeknd, arrives at No.4 spot with his major-label debut "Trilogy" with an impressive 86,000 this week.
After being away for 16 years, legendary grunge band Soundgarden return with their album "King Animal" landing at No. 5 and selling 83,000 units while singer Rod Stewart is hanging on in the top 10 with his "Merry Christmas, Baby" at No. 6 with 80,000 copies.
Coming in at No.7 is pop diva Christina Aguilera with her fifth studio set "Lotus" selling 73,000, which is quite a low number compared to her "Bionic" LP which sold 111,000 in its debut week.
The "Now 44" compilation is down from 2 to 8 this week with 70,000 copies while Green Day's "Dos!" set comes in at No. 9 with 69,000 copies.
Closing the top 10 this week is Lana Del Rey's "Paradise" which reels in 67,000 units and gives the singer her second top 10 this year, after landing at No. 2 with her debut major label full-length album, "Born to Die".
- One Direction - "Take Me Home" (540,000 )
- Taylor Swift - "Red" (145,000)
- "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part II" Soundtrack (93,000 )
- The Weeknd - "Trilogy" (86,000 )
- Soundgarden - "King Animal" (83,000 )
- Rod Stewart - "Merry Christmas, Baby" (80,000 )
- Christina Aguilera - "Lotus" (73,000)
- "Now 44" - (70,000 )
- Green Day - "Dos!" (69,000 )
- Lana Del Rey - "Paradise" (67,000 )
More One Direction News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics