R. Kelly to Bring 'Trapped in the Closet' to Broadway
R. Kelly has announced that he is currently working on a theater adaptation of his hip-hop opera "Trapped in the Closet" and plans to make it a Broadway hit. The singer made the revelation at the screening of the new chapters of his wacky epic opus at New York's Landmark Sunshine Theater on Monday, November 19.
After the screening and during his Q&A session, the "I Believe I Can Fly" hitmaker said that he had received an offer from Broadway to do a Broadway version of the viral saga. He also answered questions whether or not he would appear on the Broadway version. "Some of the cities, I can't guarantee all of them, and that's what's being negotiated right now because it takes a lot of time to do these chapters - I'm the only one in the studio writing these chapter," he explained.
Kelly did not give further details about the current status of his Broadway project but it seems that the singer-songwriter has a lot to work on in order to give a satisfying theater version of the hip-hop opera and make it live up to its amusing and entertaining reputation.
"Trapped in the Closet" is a 23-chapter song series released from 2005 to 2012. It tells the story of a man named Sylvester (played by R. Kelly in the videos) who, after waking up from a one-night stand, is forced to hide in the woman's closet in order to prevent being caught by her boyfriend. Within the different chapters, other strange and funny characters turn up such as cheating spouses, escaped convicts, farting midgets, knife-wielding deacons and sassy strippers.
"Trapped in the Closet" Chapter 23:
- Lucasfilm Isn't Happy With Alden Ehrenreich's 'Han Solo' Performance
- Israel Names a Beach After Britney Spears
- Taylor Swift Resurfaces With New Look in a Congratulatory Video for Russell Westbrook
- Pregnant Serena Williams Poses Nearly Nude for Vanity Fair
- Scott Disick Risks Liver Failure With His Binge Drinking Habit
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly