R. Kelly to Bring 'Trapped in the Closet' to Broadway
R. Kelly has announced that he is currently working on a theater adaptation of his hip-hop opera "Trapped in the Closet" and plans to make it a Broadway hit. The singer made the revelation at the screening of the new chapters of his wacky epic opus at New York's Landmark Sunshine Theater on Monday, November 19.
After the screening and during his Q&A session, the "I Believe I Can Fly" hitmaker said that he had received an offer from Broadway to do a Broadway version of the viral saga. He also answered questions whether or not he would appear on the Broadway version. "Some of the cities, I can't guarantee all of them, and that's what's being negotiated right now because it takes a lot of time to do these chapters - I'm the only one in the studio writing these chapter," he explained.
Kelly did not give further details about the current status of his Broadway project but it seems that the singer-songwriter has a lot to work on in order to give a satisfying theater version of the hip-hop opera and make it live up to its amusing and entertaining reputation.
"Trapped in the Closet" is a 23-chapter song series released from 2005 to 2012. It tells the story of a man named Sylvester (played by R. Kelly in the videos) who, after waking up from a one-night stand, is forced to hide in the woman's closet in order to prevent being caught by her boyfriend. Within the different chapters, other strange and funny characters turn up such as cheating spouses, escaped convicts, farting midgets, knife-wielding deacons and sassy strippers.
"Trapped in the Closet" Chapter 23:
- Hoda Kotb Introduces Newly-Adopted Daughter, Explains Baby's Name
- Karrueche Tran Accuses Chris Brown of Domestic Violence, Files for Restraining Order
- Han Solo Movie Offers First Picture of Cast Members in Millennium Falcon
- Priscilla Presley's Taking Care of Lisa Marie Presley's Twin Girls Amid Nasty Custody Battle
- Pregnant Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Covers Baby Bump in Trench Coat on Lunch Date With Jason Statham
- Fergie Shows Off Pert Derriere in Cheeky Instagram Picture
- George Clooney Finally Opens Up About Amal's Pregnancy
- Adele Named Top Music Legend of the Future