Sherman Hemsley's Funeral Date Finally Set Months After Death
Almost four months after his death from lung cancer, actor Sherman Hemsley will finally have the funeral service he deserves on Wednesday, November 14. The memorial service is scheduled to take place in El Paso, Texas with the actor's manager, Flora Enchinton, planning the service.
In Hemsley's will drafted six weeks before his death, Enchinton was listed as beneficiary of "The Jeffersons" actor's estate reported to be valued at $50,000. However, Richard Thornton, the man who claimed to be Hemsley's half-brother rose to challenge the validity of the will, which caused the delay of interment service for the actor.
Thornton was ordered by the judge to take a DNA test to prove his relationship with the deceased actor, but he missed the deadline to submit the results to the court. Earlier this month, the judge in El Paso ruled the will is valid. Mr. Thornton's attorney indicated that he planned to appeal, but no appeal has been made yet according to Enchinton's lawyer, Alexander Neill.
Hemsley, who served the Air Force before turning to acting, was widely known for his role as George Jefferson on the CBS television series "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons". He passed away on July 24 of lung cancer. The actor was 74.
Enchinton is now planning a military funeral for Mr. Hemsley at Fort Bliss National Cemetery in El Paso, said attorney Neill.
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal