Nicki Minaj Goes for Solemn, Black-and-White Looks for 'Freedom' Clip
Rapstress Nicki Minaj is obviously trying to make a statement on her newest video for the track "Freedom", which is off her "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded - The Re-Up" album. The Harajuku Barbie, who usually sports outlandish wigs and circus-like costumes on her previous videos and appearances, goes all black and white on this visually inspiring clip.
The new clip was shot in London and it features the 29-year-old rapper-singer against biblical stage set ups such as a Noah's Arc type backdrop, gray foreboding skies, wide shots of what seems to be an apocalyptic industrial area and some heavy smoke effects while lip-syncing the song.
Halfway through the track, the images then start changing to their colored versions while Minaj still raps solemnly amidst the giant modern sculptures shown in the video. This transition from black and white to a colored world seems to be music video director Colin Tilley's way of interpreting the freedom aspect of the song: Freedom from the dull, boring black and white world and then going into the more lively and colorful one.
Minaj also performed a low-key rendition of "Freedom" during the American Music Awards 2012 on November 18, where she won Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist and Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album for "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded". This video drops the same day as Minaj's official November 19 release date for the "Re-Up" LP.
More Nicki Minaj News
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce