Charlie Chaplin's Hat and Cane Nab $60,000 at Los Angeles Auction
Charlie Chaplin's stuff are still highly valued about a century after he began his career as a performer. Two of his memorabilia, a bowler hat and a cane, nabbed $62,500 at auction house Bonhams in Los Angeles on Sunday, November 17. It fetched higher than the initial estimate of $40,000 until $60,000.
The hat and cane are identical to the ones donned by Chaplin when he starred as Little Tramp in 1931's "City Lights" and 1936's "Modern Times". According to auction house Bonhams' memorabilia specialist Lucy Car, it is unknown how many of Chaplin's hats and canes are still left out there. She also said that the relics were from private collection, but they were connected directly to the silent film era legend.
Chaplin's other memorabilia were also sold at this auction. His signature fetched $1,375, while his signed black-and-white photograph nabbed $625.
The event, which was started at 10 A.M., auctioned entertainment relics including animation art. One of the relics was John Lennon's handwritten letter with a nude drawing of him and wife Yoko Ono which was sold for $25,000.
Among other highly-valued memorabilia at the auction were a large archive of Marilyn Monroe's photographs sold for $21,250 and some Charles Schulz Peanuts dailies. While one of Schulz's peanuts dailies fetched $28,750, the other one only nabbed $11,875. Another item auctioned was a Frank Sinatra original painting, which fetched $10,625.
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7